?
Report 2 years ago
Harry potter hands down
unigoer123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I guess it comes down to which 'world' I would want to live in.

Harry Potter wins hands down for that.
hajima
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
Harry Potter wins with both books and films by a considerable margin.
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LORD OF THE RINGS as a piece of literature is infinitely better
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
LORD OF THE RINGS as a piece of literature is infinitely better
Have you read them? What part of the books was particularly literaturely brilliant?
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Have you read them? What part of the books was particularly literaturely brilliant?
Read both, much better storyline and character development much better use of English etc Harry Potter is just Harry was in his first year at Hogwarts School of Withcraft and Wizardry blah blah
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Read both, much better storyline and character development much better use of English etc Harry Potter is just Harry was in his first year at Hogwarts School of Withcraft and Wizardry blah blah
LOTR was just Frodo and his pals walking "leagues" over hills and now and again crossing a river or seeing a tributary. Great book for geographers, but I wouldn't go further than that.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While i fully expect Harry Potter to get more votes because young Brits have an emotional attachment to the series, The Lord of the Rings is the series that has gone down in history as a cinematic masterpiece. When looked at objectively they are vastly superior films, they're three of the best pieces of fantasy filmmaking of all time never mind just in a competition against Harry Potter.
harry.x
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Harry potter 100%
XxSaruman82xX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I love both, but while Harry Potter is undoubtedly more popular, as evidenced by this thread, it is clear in my mind that Lord of the Rings is the winner. Firstly, the Lord of the Rings film trilogy is, as has been said, a cinematic masterpiece, whereas the Harry Potter film series is considerably less impressive. The Return of the King didn't win 11 Oscars, the most in film history (tied with Titanic and Ben Hur), for no reason. On a literary level, though, LOTR is the clear winner. Whilst JK Rowling poured years of work into the Harry Potter books, it pales in comparison to the creation story, histories, languages, and myriad of characters that Tolkien created for his works. And also JK Rowling got someone else to do the illustrations for the Harry Potter books - Tolkien drew all of the originals himself. She may be the first billionaire author, but Tolkien truly created the genre of epic high fantasy. (And Hobbits FTW)
XxSaruman82xX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
LOTR was just Frodo and his pals walking "leagues" over hills and now and again crossing a river or seeing a tributary. Great book for geographers, but I wouldn't go further than that.
While a considerable part of the book is Frodo's long and arduous journey across Middle-earth to Mount Doom (1350 miles to be exact), this allows for far better character development for all of the Fellowship, especially Frodo himself. Harry Potter seems to be a perfectly 'good' character who never seems tempted by evil, whereas in Frodo we see a character who was tempted by the evil of the ring (cough, cough, Gollum, cough, cough), but eventually triumphs. We can relate to him, regardless that he lives in a fictional universe, much more than I think we can to Harry Potter. Although Sirius says, in The Order of the Phoenix, that "We've all got both light and dark inside us" this never, truly comes to fruition in Harry Potter (accept from Snape).

And also, Frodo's journey is not as boring or monotonous as you paint it to be. At every twist and turn of the novel, the Fellowship is tested: the Nazgul attack on Weathertop, the Journey through Moria and the Battle of Helm's Deep to name but a few. Furthermore, Lord of the Rings is imbued with references to the ancient histories of Middle-earth; to Durin, to Beren and Luthien, to Isildur and Sauron himself. Lord of the Rings is undoubtedly more rich in its characters, languages, descriptions, history and character development, all of which contributes to my belief that the Lord of the Rings is the greatest novel of all time.
del1rious
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Harry Potter all the way.
username3823102
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
J.K. Rowling used to carry around Tolkien's books wherever she went. She borrowed heavily from Tolkien's work, and it's clear to see. The characters she is famous for can be found within the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. Dumbledore is nigh identical to Gandalf. Harry and Frodo are extremely similar (doesn't help that the actors who went on to play them look so similar). Many of the elements in Harry Potter have been ripped straight from the Lord of the Rings: Sauron pours his lifeblood into the Ring meaning that he doesn't die completely when felled; Voldemort has his poured into the horcruxes. I could name many more glaring similarities, but I can't be bothered. Literally just search up "Harry Potter Plagiarism Lord of the Rings", and you will see how badly Rowling copied from Tolkien. I was thinking about writing a dissertation on it or my EPQ (I ended up writing about the influences of Tolkien instead). Rowling doesn't deserve to be regarded as one of the greats. She recast elements from Tolkien into a setting that was appealing for teenagers, drew it out over too many books, and raked in the profit. She is a charlatan.
XxxravenclawxxX
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
omg harry potter hands down
EmilySarah00
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Harry Potter wins for me! I personally find Lord of the Rings quite boring (sorry) :woo:
ward47
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i would suggest theat reallky harry potter is only beloved as it is right now because the current generation grew up as the series was still in production and as such many young people have grown up with and the popularity of it will likely die off over time. LOTR by contrast has gone down in history as a literary masterpiece, beautifully described geography and worldbuilding, tolkien developed backstorys and languages for bit characters to explain their motivation and each of the main characters had excellent character development over the course of the story.
frodo struggles with his inner darkness and the temptation of the ring.
sam is at many points alienated from Frodo but always strives to help him regardless.
merry and pippin as they transform from timid hobbits scared on their adventure to fighting to protect their freinds.
gimli and legolas as they go from hateful rivals to unlikely friends.
Aragon as he strives to transform from a lone ranger in the wilderness to the noble king of Gondor he is destined to become.
the book and the movies were simply masterpieces of media
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I grew up with Harry Potter so I’m biased in preferring the books. But I never liked the films that much whereas the LOTR films are masterpieces.
Maryam_24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ImperialYoda1)
big debates please guys...which is better😉
Harry Potter deffo
Kaneki Ken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LORD OF THE RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU SHALL NOT PASSSSSSSSS
ps- better if there was a poll lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise