The Student Room Group

“British” IS pair complain about losing citizenship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
They lost their right to British Citizenship when they signed up to IS and started butchering innocent people.

what a nonsense.
so in other words- you see nothing wrong with throwing your garbage into other people gardens?
Original post by simon_g
what a nonsense.
so in other words- you see nothing wrong with throwing your garbage into other people gardens?

What are you talking about? They chose to go to Syria, nobody forced them.
Worse thing is, there will be people who genuinely believe they have been hard done by.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Worse thing is, there will be people who genuinely believe they have been hard done by.

I know right. People like that irritate me. They were captured by the Kurds, let the Kurds deal with them. I’m sure they’ll think of something suitable.
Original post by simon_g
what a nonsense.

You're right. Just murder them.
Original post by Jebedee
You're right. Just murder them.

Could you please elaborate on that?
Definitely do not let these people back into the country.

I think he means give them the death penalty for butchering , torturing, and gaining scores of innocent men , women and children deliberately.

Quoted guy said they shouldn't be sent elsewhere so either they're allowed to stay in a UK prison until they get out in five years on appeal. Which is what would happen. Or he's up for something more permanent. Judging that he called them garbage.
Depriving them of citizenship played to the tabloid gallery but the government is going to look rather stupid when no country will take take them off the hands of the group that have captured them for punishment and that group will do what all such groups eventually do with their prisoners and turn them loose.
They lost their right to British Citizenship when they signed up to IS and started butchering innocent people.

That's now how you lose your right to British citizenship. YOu lose it, because of that AND if you're a dual national.
I can't say I'm exactly sorry for them, and I did chuckle a tad, however at the same time, they should most definitely be given a fair trial. Every single person in the world deserves a fair trial. Only then, can all the facts be presented on the table, to a court of law.
Original post by The_Internet
YOu lose it, because of that AND if you're a dual national.

Naturalised British citizens can now be deprived of citizenship even if they are rendered stateless.
Original post by nulli tertius
Naturalised British citizens can now be deprived of citizenship even if they are rendered stateless.

Oh wow. Also, if you're naturalised, how can you be "stateless" ?
Oh wow. Also, if you're naturalised, how can you be "stateless" ?

If you were Indian, for example, India does not allow dual citizenship. You have to renounce Indian citizenship in order to be naturalised as British. If then you lose your British citizenship, you are stateless.
If you were Indian, for example, India does not allow dual citizenship. You have to renounce Indian citizenship in order to be naturalised as British. If then you lose your British citizenship, you are stateless.

Makes sense. I wonder how that fares in international law..
Makes sense. I wonder how that fares in international law..

It is lawful. just about. See Article 8 of the 1961 Convention. The UK made the appropriate reservation even though it was more than 40 years before we acted upon it.

http://www.unhcr.org/uk/protection/statelessness/3bbb286d8/convention-reduction-statelessness.html
Good and the same should be done to everyone on the terror watchlist, don't care if you become stateless, that's what you get for betraying this country by joining a barbaric mindless scummy organization that kills innocent people.
Original post by The RAR
Good and the same should be done to everyone on the terror watchlist, don't care if you become stateless, that's what you get for betraying this country by joining a barbaric mindless scummy organization that kills innocent people.

But killing those innocent people then ceases to be a crime in the UK (unless the victims are British).

Most Brits wouldn't feel very comfortable about a gang of murderous thugs who sound British and self-identify as British not being able to be put on trial for killing innocent people.

Most Brits would say "no-one told me that stripping them of citizenship meant that they could then massacre people with impunity".
But killing those innocent people then ceases to be a crime in the UK (unless the victims are British).

Most Brits wouldn't feel very comfortable about a gang of murderous thugs who sound British and self-identify as British not being able to be put on trial for killing innocent people.

Most Brits would say "no-one told me that stripping them of citizenship meant that they could then massacre people with impunity".

You make a valid point, without their citizenship we can't put them in prison, hopefully they will be "disposed" of by someone else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending