The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL IS MESSING WITH ME, SO ANNOYED!!! (warning for future applicants)

Ok I seriously need to rant about UCL they are actually unbelievable.

My nationality is Chinese but I have permanent residency in the UK which means I’m entitled to UK fees. When I got my offer from UCL (and my other unis) they said that on UCAS it wasn’t clear what my fee status is so I had to fill in this fee status questionnaire to change it from international to home which was fair enough. Some of unis was great, they got back to me within a day and changed it straight away.

BUT UCL HAS DECIDED TO BE A PAIN IN THE ARSE!

First they didn’t even send me the bloody questionnaire which they said they’ve enclosed with my acceptance letter! So I had to email and call them a million times before they actually responded and sent me the form. The form itself took sooo long to fill out because they wanted us to photocopy/scan EVERY page of our passport. Anyways I got that filled in and emailed a scanned version to 2 people and actually went into UCL to give a physical copy to them, just to make sure they receive it. A day later they emailed me back and said they’ve received it. This was in mid January.

A month later I still haven’t heard anything so I emailed the lady who I sent it to, she said they can only say it will be assessed in “due course”

Another month later (end of march) I was getting impatient, all my friends are firming and booking accommodating whilst I’m here waiting to hear from UCL. All my offers have come through at this point as well and I really want to firm UCL asap. So I call them and explained the situation, the guy on the phone said they will start assessing them AFTER Easter in chronological order they received them in and cannot guarantee when they can give me a response. So I ask him will it be before the 3rd of May-the UCAS deadline- and he just kept saying “we can’t make any guarantees”?!?! What the actual ****?

UCL has been my dream uni since I was like in year 7 and the course is absolutely amazing, I love everything about that place. Now I might not even be able to firm them because they are being annoying, if they don’t get back to me before 3rd May I will either have to pay international fees which I cannot afford or go somewhere else…

I am seriously disappointed in UCL’s organisation considering they are such a large institution with an amazing reputation.

Thanks for reading, hope you guys enjoyed this lil story, if anyone has any advice on what I should do please let me know.

Also leave a comment if something like this has happened/is happening to you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol this is literally what I’m going through right now , but I’ve already firmed UCL and only found out afterward they’ve put me as an international student so I contacted them multiple times via email and phone and they keep telling me they’ll reassess my fee status, but I haven’t heard anything from them and it has nearly been a month. However, it hasn’t stopped me from doing my accommodation and student finance. In student finance, I put myself as home student because I know I have the rights as I have lived in uk for many years and have permanent residency.. the only annoying thing is I can’t apply for scholarship or bursary from UCL as I’m still stated as international student -.-
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by rb16
Lol this is literally what I’m going through right now , but I’ve already firmed UCL and only found out afterward they’ve put me as an international student so I contacted them multiple times via email and phone and they keep telling me they’ll reassess my fee status, but I haven’t heard anything from them and it has nearly been a month. However, it hasn’t stopped me from doing my accommodation and student finance. In student finance, I put myself as home student because I know I have the rights as I have lived in uk for many years and have permanent residency.. the only annoying thing is I can’t apply for scholarship or bursary from UCL as I’m still stated as international student -.-

Omg so glad I've found someone who is going through the same thing as me! I feel so much better now.

Do you think I should firm UCL anyways without waiting for their response? Because I really want to get student finance and accommodation sorted out. What if I firm them now and they're like "ok we're going to charge you international fees because you agreed to it"?

Literally so disappointed in them
Reply 3
Original post by _HS
Omg so glad I've found someone who is going through the same thing as me! I feel so much better now.

Do you think I should firm UCL anyways without waiting for their response? Because I really want to get student finance and accommodation sorted out. What if I firm them now and they're like "ok we're going to charge you international fees because you agreed to it"?

Literally so disappointed in them

Same I’m glad someone else can relate to my problem too as all my friends have British citizenship so don’t face these types of situations.

Yes you definitely should firm it, especially since you mention how much you like the uni. On the UCL website, they state they give home fee status to those with residency status so meaning both of us should have it. I’m pretty sure if they charge us international fee, we can appeal against it as we have evidence to say otherwise. I have received uk fee status from other unis so I don’t see why I can’t receive it from ucl. And you should probably firm it soon as student finance takes a while and so does the accommodation, better to get over and done with. Also, you can apply to student finance without having firmed a uni as you can change afterwards if you decide to choose another uni.

And Yh the undergraduate admission team are horrendously bad, they take so long to respond and the responses tend to be very ambiguous.
Reply 4
Original post by rb16
Same I’m glad someone else can relate to my problem too as all my friends have British citizenship so don’t face these types of situations.

Yes you definitely should firm it, especially since you mention how much you like the uni. On the UCL website, they state they give home fee status to those with residency status so meaning both of us should have it. I’m pretty sure if they charge us international fee, we can appeal against it as we have evidence to say otherwise. I have received uk fee status from other unis so I don’t see why I can’t receive it from ucl. And you should probably firm it soon as student finance takes a while and so does the accommodation, better to get over and done with. Also, you can apply to student finance without having firmed a uni as you can change afterwards if you decide to choose another uni.

And Yh the undergraduate admission team are horrendously bad, they take so long to respond and the responses tend to be very ambiguous.

Ahh thanks for the reassurance! I might wait for easter to end before firming it. My mum is saying to me that I need to hassle them more by calling them everyday and actually going to the uni to speak to the head of admissions! :eek: But I don't know if they'll actually do anything and I might just end up annoying them...
Reply 5
Original post by _HS
Ahh thanks for the reassurance! I might wait for easter to end before firming it. My mum is saying to me that I need to hassle them more by calling them everyday and actually going to the uni to speak to the head of admissions! :eek: But I don't know if they'll actually do anything and I might just end up annoying them...

Haha listen to ur mum, hassle them as much as you can. I don’t see why they’d get annoyed as it’s their job to provide service for us students :smile:
Guys I'm in the same situation!! I've sent the questionnaire in January and still haven't heard ;(
Reply 7
Original post by kimchicaa
Guys I'm in the same situation!! I've sent the questionnaire in January and still haven't heard ;(

they're being so annoying... are you going to firm it anyways? I don't think we should keep waiting because I doubt they'll reply by 3rd May
yeah I already replied to the offer and put it as firm choice. I asked a UCL counselor and she said that it won't affect my offer. And I was also pretty confident that I would get applied for the UK fee cuz I'm a UK national that lived abroad. Plus I did the same for kings college and they accepted me for the UK fee when I filled out their questionnaire.
Reply 9
yeah I already replied to the offer and put it as firm choice. I asked a UCL counselor and she said that it won't affect my offer. And I was also pretty confident that I would get applied for the UK fee cuz I'm a UK national that lived abroad. Plus I did the same for kings college and they accepted me for the UK fee when I filled out their questionnaire.

Ahh ok I should firm them soon then so I can apply for accommodation ASAP. And same all my other universities have changed my fee status to home, it's just UCL taking its time....It was also much more time consuming because I had to scan all 48 pages of my passport :unimpressed:
Reply 10
I'm not worried about student finance more worried that they'll charge me international fees if I firm them... :biggrin::afraid:
Reply 11

Same I sent it in January too and haven’t heard anything.. I called them recently and they told me they’re still processing it :/
Reply 12
Finally heard back today, fee status is now home. Has any of you guys got a reply?
This is somewhat unrelated, but earlier this year I went to an open day at UCL because I was considering applying for a PGCE there. There were posters on the walls there for a demonstration to try and get the university to fund more mental health programmes. This told me three things:
1) The university has a problem with the mental health of its students. (This is somewhat to be expected, to be fair - universities aren’t good for mental health, big cities aren’t good for mental health, and UCL has a high-workload reputation.)
2) The university is not doing enough to address those problems.
3) Merely asking the university to do more to support its students’ mental health has not worked - the students have had to turn to demonstrating.

Add to that the fact that nobody there seemed to be particularly happy, and I decided to do a PGCE somewhere else. Maybe I’m judging the university too soon, but I would not recommend the place.
Reply 14
Original post by _HS
Finally heard back today, fee status is now home. Has any of you guys got a reply?

So it's all good then? :yy:
Reply 15
Original post by Doonesbury
So it's all good then? :yy:

yeahh I can finally firm them! A bit annoyed that they took so long and their undergraduate admissions team is AWFUL. But at least it's sorted out now :smile::smile:
Reply 16
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
This is somewhat unrelated, but earlier this year I went to an open day at UCL because I was considering applying for a PGCE there. There were posters on the walls there for a demonstration to try and get the university to fund more mental health programmes. This told me three things:
1) The university has a problem with the mental health of its students. (This is somewhat to be expected, to be fair - universities aren’t good for mental health, big cities aren’t good for mental health, and UCL has a high-workload reputation.)
3) Merely asking the university to do more to support its students’ mental health has not worked - the students have had to turn to demonstrating.

Add to that the fact that nobody there seemed to be particularly happy, and I decided to do a PGCE somewhere else. Maybe I’m judging the university too soon, but I would not recommend the place.

Just for info, there's a national university campaign to improve mental health for students across the country: https://www.unimentalhealthday.co.uk
Including a specific event at UCL
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/students/news/2018/feb/university-mental-health-day-1-march-2018

I have no idea if there is a particular issue at UCL but equally it's possible you are drawing too many conclusions from seeing some posters.
I am confused with UCL as well, I have an A*A*A*A + A* in EPQ prediction and they rejected me for Computer Science G400. I even have the preferred subjects Maths, Computer Science. I think the only reason is that I moved from Spain just before starting Year 12 and I don't have English GCSE, however I didn't know this when I applied but now I have done IELTS and got a 7.5 which is also above their requirement
Original post by Hammad(214508)
I am confused with UCL as well, I have an A*A*A*A + A* in EPQ prediction and they rejected me for Computer Science G400. I even have the preferred subjects Maths, Computer Science. I think the only reason is that I moved from Spain just before starting Year 12 and I don't have English GCSE, however I didn't know this when I applied but now I have done IELTS and got a 7.5 which is also above their requirement

It's a competitive course - they reject about half of the applicants

https://university.which.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/computer-science-4-years-9250-g402-A23-J54
Reply 19
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

I think with all unis you will find workaholics who studies 24/7 and are totally stressed, but there will those who doesn't care. Mental health is a problem everywhere. I'm picking UCL because their course for my degree is amazing. I actually asked the people there about mental health on the applicants day and they said all the professors are really understanding, but they did say that the environment could be pressurising sometimes because everyone is so clever...

Latest

Trending

Trending