"Revise for 7 hours a day during Easter Holidays " Watch

tripplea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
"The best GCSE and A-level results don’t go to the cleverest students – they go to those who revised in the Easter holidays.”

Barnaby Lenon former Harrow School's headmaster has said to revise for almost 7 hours a day to get good GCSE and A-level results.

A lot of teachers, parents and psychologists disagree and say it too much pressure...what do you think?

Here's a link to his blog post https://www.isc.co.uk/media-enquirie...ster-holidays/
bv9397
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in Year 11 and most people say I study too much but 7 hours is a bit much!
Over-saturating your brain is just as unproductive as not revising at all - a break can be just an beneficial as an entire set of practice papers!
Piling on the pressure is unfair and doesn't help anybody; we are nervous enough already!
My school has advised around 2 hours per subject in the entirety of the holidays (this is a minimum and rough guide though so we are free to study more if we wish).
At the end of the day your revision is up to you and the amount of time you spend on it is your decision. I think the emphasis on independence in GCSE and A Level courses is being made more and more clear to students. Perhaps our revision should be treated the same way?
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No one should bother with so much. I probably won't revise much at all these holidays, because I work better when not at home and this is a good chance for me to get a break, do some reading, etc.
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quality over quantity. 7 hours is way too long for most of it to be good quality learning so its pointless. I do about an hour a day and this is usually an essay or learning some information and thats enough for me.
Noodlestudent
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I understand maybe doing a bit more revision for facilitating subjects but that is ridiculous. Schools expect far too much nowadays.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
tripplea
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What about 7 hours of broken up revision?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
flo_123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
7 hours for GCSE is definitely way too much. For A levels, on the other hand, I'd say this is a little on the high side but depending on your targets is quite reasonable!
greycorns
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they told us 10 hours hahaha
assassinbunny123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the thing is you cant go wrong with 7hours of day. I mean if you think about it you can do about 9-10 sessions of 45 mins and then after every session give yourself a breather of 5-10 mins.
But if you do straight 7hours you would cover a lot in the first day but you'd feel burned out the next day and don't feel like doing anything (personal experience).
Also if you've worked hard throughout the whole year then i don't think you need much revision during Easter, maybe like 2-3 past papers a day.
Fazzy_77
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My school told us to do 6 and a half hours per day anyways, but I doubt anyone will do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads