The Student Room Group

What do you think of sympathy?

I personally despise it- basically someone only liking you because of something unfortunate that has happened to you, and not for who you actually are.

Just wanted to know what you people think?
Reply 1
I don’t think you know what sympathy is.
Original post by cat_mac
I don’t think you know what sympathy is.

Sympathy: the pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune.
Reply 3
Original post by SeanLewis9868
Sympathy: the pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune.

Well there you go. Not “someone only liking you because of something unfortunate that happened to you, and not for who you actually are”. That’s just called being a d*ck.
Original post by cat_mac
Well there you go. Not “someone only liking you because of something unfortunate that happened to you, and not for who you actually are”. That’s just called being a d*ck.

Yes, I hate acts of sympathy, like right now with things happening in my life, most people only 'like' me because of what has happened to me, not because of what I am.
No. You can feel sympathy for someone and not necessarily like them. I think it's good to be able to feel sympathy although not in excess.
I personally despise it- basically someone only liking you because of something unfortunate that has happened to you, and not for who you actually are.

Just wanted to know what you people think?

That’s... not what sympathy is.

Sympathy is about sorrow for someone in an unfortunate situation. Showing and feeling compassion in times where its needed. It’s not about “I only like you because you’re hurt”
Yes, I hate acts of sympathy, like right now with things happening in my life, most people only 'like' me because of what has happened to me, not because of what I am.

The words sympathy and like aren’t interchangeable, they mean very different things.
maybe sympathy is not something you like because it is close to pity, but empathy is a different story

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending