The Student Room Group

English Language AQA 9-1

I got a 6 in my mock a couple of months ago but I want an 8 in the real exam. I know what you're gonna say 'watch MrBruff and the other guys on YouTube' but what else can I do. One of my biggest problems is the creative writing sections I just can't think of anything. Will reading short stories help me improve with narrative and descriptive?
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
I know what you're gonna say 'watch MrBruff and the other guys on YouTube'

I thought it was mr gruff?

Or is that someone else?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
I got a 6 in my mock a couple of months ago but I want an 8 in the real exam. I know what you're gonna say 'watch MrBruff and the other guys on YouTube' but what else can I do. One of my biggest problems is the creative writing sections I just can't think of anything. Will reading short stories help me improve with narrative and descriptive?

Yes, reading books with extenuating uses of vocabulary will definitely help you develop linguistic devices!

I find when doing creative writing pieces, I tend to get higher marks by throwing in a liable amount of both structural and language devices, but the latter are language devices.

Throw in a cheeky time shift, connect it to a metaphor, write in first person, the choices are endless!
Reply 3
always take structural features and techniques from the extracts they give you, that way you can't forget because it's going to be in front of you in the exam. make a list of sophisticated language and try to use them as much as possible. for paper 2, always use rhetorical questions, direct address, rule of three and try to use irony

Quick Reply

Latest