englsih literature 2018

What is the best way to revise for 4 texts:
Inspector calls
Macbeth
Christmas carol
Power and conflict poetry
All literature exams
Thanks
know the plot, know some form, structure and context points (hopefully some that will cover any question), learn some quotes that have literary devices in them!!!! very important. know a structure of how to write an essay. know at least 3 quotes for each character and theme, try and get ones that will work for most questions. do this for poems too
Thanks for this do you recommend doing this by making mind maps or revision cards?
it really depends on how you revise, mindmaps are great for characters and themes but revision cards are more for learning the qoutes
(1) know the text. Know it inside out. Know the period, the plot, the characters, the themes, and have some supporting quotes. Be aware of key scenes/pivotal moments.

(2) look at past papers - this is a good indication of both the types of questions asked and how these questions can be phrased,

(3) practice writing answers to these questions.

(4) now practice writing your answers under the clock. The more you do this, the easier it will be. The more adept you will become at using your quotes in different contexts, and applying your knowledge in different ways.

(5) learn how to structure your essays: introduction (explains what you will cover); each paragraph will then open with a thesis statement i.e. "the nature of tragedy is demonstrated when..." "we can see that King Lear is a tragic character in relation to his daughters,...." "the play ends in a manner that is tragic, as demonstrated by..." You will then form an argument that backs up each of your thesis statements. Your essay will conclude by summarising your findings, and drawing these together.

In summary - learn your stuff; know what is expected in the exam; practice; refine.
thanks for this
how long do you recommend for each question
Original post by lovelewrnung
it really depends on how you revise, mindmaps are great for characters and themes but revision cards are more for learning the qoutes

Thanks for this it really helps
Do you have a way to help you remember the quotes
Original post by 11 year revise
Thanks for this it really helps
Do you have a way to help you remember the quotes

I'm actually really struggling myself to do this haha, but I've found just re reading certain parts of the text helps and I've post it noted a wall of qoutes but this didn't really help me. so probably just re reading :smile:
Original post by lovelewrnung
I'm actually really struggling myself to do this haha, but I've found just re reading certain parts of the text helps and I've post it noted a wall of qoutes but this didn't really help me. so probably just re reading :smile:

I tried that as well and they kept falling off hahaha thanks for this and hopefully we both do really well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending