The Student Room Group

Anyone been to A&E with severe anxiety.

Hi everyone, so long story short. Had a bit of a traumatising childhood started smoking marijuana at like 17 because the thoughts of what happened when I was abused really started to effect me and I couldn’t tell anyone what had happened. (Still haven’t- only a doctor).

I’m being treated for PTSD but I also have social anxiety and GAD. I’ve dropped out of uni 3 years in a row now due to social anxiety.

I don’t take any type of medication or anything as just don’t like them. I’ve been on a waiting list for CBT for 9 weeks now. I was originally told it would be 11 weeks but I rang last week and was told it will be minimum of 18 weeks. (Not their fault they are busy).

Anyway, 3 weeks ago I stopped smoking weed and cigarettes. And it honestly been the worst 3 weeks of my life. Severe high levels of anxiety and can’t control my thoughts at all. It just constant. Like it’s scary I feel like a completely different person like I’m actually mental in the head. The anxiety this last 3 weeks has been what you call health anxiety where I’m thinking I’m going to suddenly drop dead any minute. (Fear of blood clot) so I’ve literally been running my left hand through my hair pretty constantly for the last 3 weeks. I can’t stop doing it it’s so ****ed up. So last night I went out and got drunk which is the worst mistake of my life. I’m not sitting in my bed convinced I’m going to die. I really can’t wait another 9 weeks before I get someone to talk to and start CBT. I need real help now from a psychologist, there’s not one thing my GP can do for me. Worst is I’m from northern Ireland and I live in Liverpool so I feel as if the GP doesn’t take me seriously. I need real help now I can’t keep living like this. I physically can’t be by myself because I’m scared I’m going to die. And even when I’m with friends the conStant thoughts are still there.
I really want to go to a&e but I don’t want to be laughed at. What should I do? Please do
Someone help! There is literally no mental
Reply 1
Definitely go to A&E if its getting really bad to a point that its constant. I wish people would treat mental illness like physical health problems.

If you feel that you need to be seen urgently then go for it.

I did this once when I had a severe anxiety in 2013, and it lead to me being referred to local mental services where I got counselling and prescriptions for this issue.
Reply 2
A&E gives me anxiety
A&E won't be able to do anything for you, but you can call childline at 0800 1111 if you're under 19, or you can go to http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support if you're over 19. You could also call the Samaritans at 116 123, or contact them via their website.
NHS is sh*t when it comes to dealing with Mental Health. They probs won't be able to do much for you, but go if you really feel like you need to.
I know because I’m hungover it’s made it even worse today that why I’m reluctant to go to a&e. I had an episode like this last week, I rang 111 and they made An emergency appointment with a gp. My usual gp went of maternity leave and didn’t tell me, so the go just gave me 3 days worth of diazepam 2mg which didn’t really do anything. They don’t understand it’s my thoughts that are driving me mad. I don’t care about the physically symptoms of anxiety. I need help to stop me thinking like an irrational knobhead. And unless I say I’m going to Kill myself (which is like the opposite of what’s wrong with me) I feel like not one person is going to help. My auntie threw herself of a bridge to kill herself, it failed but even then she was ok in hospital for 2 days. She later went on an killed herself. It makes me so sad that the UK mental health are so bad. And that witch Theresa May is doing nothing to help anyone.
This is the first time drinking for like 4 weeks might I add.
Reply 7
Call the local crisis team, they will be able to help you much better than a&e. Waiting lists are horrible, I know first hand how maddening it is to ask for help and get told to wait a few months when you need help now.

I’d also really recommend trying medication and giving it time to work. It’s a tool to help you manage your illness, and it can be very useful. From what you describe it sounds like it’s worth giving it a shot.

https://www.rethink.org/diagnosis-treatment/treatment-and-support/crisis-teams
Thanks for your advice, I’m defo going to get in contact with the local crisis team. I thought I had to be referred by a gp to use their services. I did try citalipram back when I was 16 I’m 21 now for like 4 days but it made me really sick. I don’t want an anti-depressant as you have to take them everyday and you do get addicted to them. I already have an addiction to weed and don’t want to add another dependency on top of the one I have.

Original post by cat_mac
Call the local crisis team, they will be able to help you much better than a&e. Waiting lists are horrible, I know first hand how maddening it is to ask for help and get told to wait a few months when you need help now.

I’d also really recommend trying medication and giving it time to work. It’s a tool to help you manage your illness, and it can be very useful. From what you describe it sounds like it’s worth giving it a shot.

https://www.rethink.org/diagnosis-treatment/treatment-and-support/crisis-teams
Original post by Hieveryone96
Hi everyone, so long story short. Had a bit of a traumatising childhood started smoking marijuana at like 17 because the thoughts of what happened when I was abused really started to effect me and I couldn’t tell anyone what had happened. (Still haven’t- only a doctor).

I’m being treated for PTSD but I also have social anxiety and GAD. I’ve dropped out of uni 3 years in a row now due to social anxiety.

I don’t take any type of medication or anything as just don’t like them. I’ve been on a waiting list for CBT for 9 weeks now. I was originally told it would be 11 weeks but I rang last week and was told it will be minimum of 18 weeks. (Not their fault they are busy).

Anyway, 3 weeks ago I stopped smoking weed and cigarettes. And it honestly been the worst 3 weeks of my life. Severe high levels of anxiety and can’t control my thoughts at all. It just constant. Like it’s scary I feel like a completely different person like I’m actually mental in the head. The anxiety this last 3 weeks has been what you call health anxiety where I’m thinking I’m going to suddenly drop dead any minute. (Fear of blood clot) so I’ve literally been running my left hand through my hair pretty constantly for the last 3 weeks. I can’t stop doing it it’s so ****ed up. So last night I went out and got drunk which is the worst mistake of my life. I’m not sitting in my bed convinced I’m going to die. I really can’t wait another 9 weeks before I get someone to talk to and start CBT. I need real help now from a psychologist, there’s not one thing my GP can do for me. Worst is I’m from northern Ireland and I live in Liverpool so I feel as if the GP doesn’t take me seriously. I need real help now I can’t keep living like this. I physically can’t be by myself because I’m scared I’m going to die. And even when I’m with friends the conStant thoughts are still there.
I really want to go to a&e but I don’t want to be laughed at. What should I do? Please do
Someone help! There is literally no mental

Have you tried CBD oil. It's helps with a whole range of things and my cousins and brother take it for anxiety. It works well. It could be a good substitute for cigarettes etc. You can buy it in a chemist and I thinks it's about £25-£30. Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest