‘Dropping everything’ to be there for a friend

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So my friend called me up in tears asking me to come round and stay overnight tonight and she’s had a panic attack.

When I told my mum I was going, she was quite surprised and said ‘so you’re just going to drop everything and go to hers?’ And found it really strange, acting as though the friend is using me.

In all honesty I was hoping to have a relaxing evening in but I feel like in a situation like that, you can’t really say no to a friend, especially as she is completely home alone as her parents are away. Thoughts?
Lovethepugs
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
well it really depends on what happend to her like why she had this panic attack if she starts to get better then don't go to her maybe facetime for a while
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my friend called me up in tears asking me to come round and stay overnight tonight and she’s had a panic attack.

When I told my mum I was going, she was quite surprised and said ‘so you’re just going to drop everything and go to hers?’ And found it really strange, acting as though the friend is using me.

In all honesty I was hoping to have a relaxing evening in but I feel like in a situation like that, you can’t really say no to a friend, especially as she is completely home alone as her parents are away. Thoughts?
If your mum has a problem with you going there and your friend is clearly quite upset and distressed you should go and collect your friend and bring her over to yours? If your friend obviously wouldn’t mind as she’s the one that’s having a bad time not your mum. But don’t argue with your mum just suggest it if she has a problem then just say wouldn’t she be there for her friend if she needed her?
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As long as your friendship is fairly equal and you'e happy then there's no problem.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As long as you weren't in the middle of something important, I don't see any problem with you going to help a friend in need. I wonder what your mum would say if the roles were reversed - I'm fairly sure she'd want someone to be there for you if you were in distress.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Seemed like a bit of an odd reaction. Did you mum expect you to just ignore your friend?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
it sounds like your mum just has a problem with this particular friend
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
why not ask your friend over to your house instead ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (208)
42.11%
The paper was reasonable (215)
43.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (45)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (26)
5.26%

Watched Threads