The Student Room Group

15 sources, not enough for a 2000 word essay?

I'm a mature student and I've just received my first 2 assessments back One marked as a 2:2, the other as a high 2:1.The approach I used was to look at the primary sources ,suggested ,then I added a few other sources (including articles and audio clips ). I think I quoted from some but then also used others but just to show where my 'thought process ' was coming from .I used about 10 different sources in the 2,000 word essays .
Original post by Elizabeth Harris
I'm a mature student and I've just received my first 2 assessments back One marked as a 2:2, the other as a high 2:1.The approach I used was to look at the primary sources ,suggested ,then I added a few other sources (including articles and audio clips ). I think I quoted from some but then also used others but just to show where my 'thought process ' was coming from .I used about 10 different sources in the 2,000 word essays .

Sorry so what is your question?
Original post by alleycat393
Sorry so what is your question?

whether 15 sources enough in 2k essay

i try to get as many as possible down but ensure good quality
It's not to do with the absolute number of sources, but rather, your dexterity in the handling of those sources and your construction of your argument. Otherwise you're just repeating back a shopping list of references that was previously provided to you. Personally, I think 15 is a bit light, but a good writer can put a good case using original analysis and interpretation with only 3, fully-trawled references.
Reply 4
As above, it is all about the argument and the depth in which you delve into each resource. Depends on the discipline, too. In mine (philosophy), I'd be very wary of a 2000 worder that had 15 sources and I tell my students that that amount is overkill - you just can't sufficiently engage with that many sources in such a short space. I never used more than 5 until my dissertations, which topped out at 12. All changed with the PhD, of course :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest