nisha.sri
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,
Can someone tell me how i can do well on A2 organic ? We had a really bad teacher and now i dont know anything. I went over it and then i go to do past paper questions i cant do a SINGLE one. Can some help please
tchilly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Nisha,

Is there anything that you are struggling with specifically?

It can be very overwhelming if you go straight to doing past papers. Have you tried drawing a flow diagram for the different reaction routes? With organic chemistry it always helps to go over concise, summarised notes that get straight to the point:

Does this reaction involve the attack of an electrophile or a nucleophile?
What is the leaving group? (And why? Always ask why!)
Are there any special conditions?
Is there a colour change?

Prepare these notes by referring closely to your specification and go over them before attempting an organic chemistry paper and you'll see that it is very much down to elaborate rehearsal and understanding why (based on the properties of constituent functional groups) it is that a compound reacts a certain way.

Example:

Benzene does not decolorise Bromine water at room temperature since it has a delocalised pi bonding system.
Propene will decolorise Bromine water at room temperature since it has a localised pi bond.
Explanation: The localised bond is more readily attacked by a nucelophile (Br+) than the delocalised pi bond in Benzene due to the higher electron density in a localised pi bond. A useful analogy here is that there is a giant bullseye (region of high electron density about the pi bond) on the propene molecule.

-tchilly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads