Any Law students who could help me? - Help would be appreciated a lot :)

Watch
username2400323
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I would like to know if anyone is able to help me with understanding the defence of duress (in particular, duress of circumstances). I am with AQA for A2 Law.

Thank you
probandum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sure, what's the question?
username2400323
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by probandum)
Sure, what's the question?
Well, with the strong overlap between duress by threat and duress of circumstances I am struggling to see what I need to consider for each. I slightly understand the difference but I am not sure about what elements of duress by threats still apply to duress of circumstance. Also, as duress of circumstances seems like a new or less-developed area of the law I seem to be finding it even more difficult than duress by threats.

Thank you

P.S I am making notes and therefore do not want incorrect notes for revision
probandum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The distinction between duress by threats and DoC seems reasonably straight-forward: in classic duress, there is a fairly clear threat vocalised by a third party—they say they'll kill or seriously injure the person or their close family unless some crime is done.

While in a duress of circumstances case, the threat is not vocalised but merely obvious from context. In the R v Willis case, which started the whole DoC train running, the defendant was threatened (a whole gang of people were shouting "I'll kill you!" at him) and the circumstance of effecting his escape required him to commit various traffic offences. They made a threat, but it wasn't a threat of the form "do X or we'll kill you (or your family)".

The basic distinction between duress by threat and duress of circumstances is the requirement of an express threat.

In both, the defence is restricted: it cannot be used for murder, attempted murder or treason. The cases you want to look at for that are R v Howe and R v Gotts, the former dealing with murder and the latter attempted murder.

In duress by threats, the threat must be imminent although not necessarily immediate, and it must be of death or serious injury, to the defendant or his close family. You'll also need to understand the test developed in R v Graham.

Feel free to post any specific questions. Good luck with A2 Criminal Law—great subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads