Year10Studentt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for Geography?
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did Geography GCSE last year and I got a few hints and tips that might work.

1) The big difference between a B and an A is the thicc thicc case studies. Learn em, absorb em, know em inside and out. On a flashcard or a flowchart or a mindmap.

-What happened, when and where?
-What were the short and long term (primary and secondary) consequences and impacts? Think social, economic and environmental.
-What were the short and long term responses to these problems? I.e what is being done to prevent or mitigate the circumstances.

2) Know your physical processes quite well!

Whilst I like to think most of Geography at GCSE was case study knowledge, I got a spooking in the exam when there were no case studies at all in the physical section! Obviously this probably won't happen for year, but be prepared to demonstrate apt knowledge of your physical processes, some chunky 3/4 markers pop up often!

3) Human Geography will inevitably be much higher and tougher grade boundaries, so make sure you're refined on that front.

Every year, human geography always has higher boundaries than physical, that's just how it is, physical is much more theory based and physical process based, harder and consequently lower in grade boundaries, there is significantly more room to mess up here, for human, there is not, make sure you know everything to an accurate degree, use coolgeography, or other websites to reinforce this knowledge and make lots of notes.

I'll go ahead and tag orderofthelotus who got an A* and does it for A Level who can probably help more and give more accurate tips
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
AryanGh’s ( :bubbles: ) advice already hits a lot of nails on the head so I’m just gonna add to it.

It sucks you’re doing the new spec because practice papers were my saving grace. But it doesn’t suck that bad because there are practice questions in textbooks and revision guides. If your teacher doesn’t suck, they should be finding some for you, too. Make banks of sample answers. Write them, come back to them the next day and review them, preferably with a mark scheme or a model answer to compare to, but if you can tell if you waffled or failed to explain properly, then you don’t need one. Exam technique at GCSE is relatively straightforward, but at A-level, I highlight parts that are good and use a coloured pen to annotate if something is missing, so you could do something like that if you wanted to. Again, if your teacher doesn’t suck, they may be willing to look over your answers for you and give you a bit of feedback. If your teacher is awesome, they’ll mark entire answers for you (mine did). This feedback is so valuable, as a lot of teachers are also examiners, or at least know what examiners are looking for. Keep practicing and acting on feedback and self reviews and you’ll see improvement.

Like mentioned above, we got siked pretty hard last year with no case studies coming up (except like a 3 marker on the Asian Tsunami smh), and the only way to prepare for these kind of surprises is by looking at a lot of different kinds of questions that might come up and practicing them. The questions that ask you to look at a figure are also really annoying at first, but GCSE geography really is breeze when you have the technique and structure down. So yeah, my main advice is practice. Flash cards are amazing for case studies, drawing and annotating processes and models is a good idea. Seeing if you can explain a topic to someone with excessive free time that doesn’t study geography is another good way to test your understanding if your hands start aching or something.

That’s basically it. Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.78%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.85%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed