The Student Room Group

Animation - Falmouth University or Arts University Bournemouth ???

Hello!
I have offers from both Falmouth University and Arts University Bournemouth for Animation and VFX / Animation Production respectively and I am absolutely TORN between the two.

I've talked to people from both unis and done all the research I can do and both of them seem to be really good choices with their own pluses and downsides.

I'm interested in 2D animation though it'd be interesting to try out other types of animation too. Interestingly enough Arts University Bournemouth offered me a place without holding an interview which is a bit head-scratching?

My dream is to work at Cartoon Network or other TV studio one day so strong industry connections are a plus. I know both unis are good in that regard so I don't ?? know???
It's gotten to the point where I wake up being sure I want one of them and then I go to bed wanting the other. :frown:
Original post by GreenSpy
Hello!
I have offers from both Falmouth University and Arts University Bournemouth for Animation and VFX / Animation Production respectively and I am absolutely TORN between the two.

I've talked to people from both unis and done all the research I can do and both of them seem to be really good choices with their own pluses and downsides.

I'm interested in 2D animation though it'd be interesting to try out other types of animation too. Interestingly enough Arts University Bournemouth offered me a place without holding an interview which is a bit head-scratching?

My dream is to work at Cartoon Network or other TV studio one day so strong industry connections are a plus. I know both unis are good in that regard so I don't ?? know???
It's gotten to the point where I wake up being sure I want one of them and then I go to bed wanting the other. :frown:

Have you visited both? If you can’t decide based on course then think about location. Where would you rather live for three years?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you visited both? If you can’t decide based on course then think about location. Where would you rather live for three years?

Again it's a bit of a toss-up honestly. I wasn't able to attend any open days because travelling is a bit of an issue since I don't live in the UK. :frown:

It seems like getting to and from Falmouth is very expensive and time-consuming given the fact that it's so far away and the lack of convenient transportation. Bournemouth isn't much different though it's a bit better in that regard I hear. Bournemouth is also a bit bigger and more populated (which is a plus since i'm a city kid).

All in all I'm definitely willing to overlook the location in favour of picking the better course in terms of education and opportunities. I just don't know which is better. :c
Reply 3
I've chosen to study at aub (starting September) because i want to do 2D animation and they do it best there. They allow you to experiment in aub but I get the sense that they push you towards 2D stuff anyway whilst at Falmouth they seem to have a lot of people known for getting into CGI and special effects. Good luck on making your decision though! Falmouth is my insurance choice but I've heard getting into either is really good.

Quick Reply

Latest