The Student Room Group

Help me choose!

Okay so I’m picking my a levels and I have three choices...
maths physics and psychology
OR
biology chemistry psychology
OR
maths biology psychology

I want to study psychology at uni and hopefully get a PhD in clinical psychology. Which combination is best?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Berrydo
Okay so I’m picking my a levels and I have three choices...
maths physics and psychology
OR
biology chemistry psychology
OR
maths biology psychology

I want to study psychology and uni and hopefully get a PhD in clinical psychology. Which combination is best?

Maths and Physics go very well together, but it's honestly down to what you prefer/ do better at - what are your GCSE predicted grades?
Original post by T.M.R.
Maths and Physics go very well together, but it's honestly down to what you prefer/ do better at - what are your GCSE predicted grades?

Maths it’s 8/9 I’m doing combined science n I’m predicted 7/8
I would not go for Physics for Psychology. Biology and Psychology would be 2. The third could be Maths especially with statistic content or a written subject like English Lit or History. Chemistry would be useful if you are looking at keeping your options open for Medicine or Pharmacy otherwise Maths or a written subject will probably prove better especially given your interests
Original post by swanseajack1
I would not go for Physics for Psychology. Biology and Psychology would be 2. The third could be Maths especially with statistic content or a written subject like English Lit or History. Chemistry would be useful if you are looking at keeping your options open for Medicine or Pharmacy otherwise Maths or a written subject will probably prove better especially given your interests

So should i do maths bio psychology given that I want to do psychology at uni?? But with bio I can’t stand the realistic zoomed in pictures :frown:((
Original post by Berrydo
So should i do maths bio psychology given that I want to do psychology at uni?? But with bio I can’t stand the realistic zoomed in pictures :frown:((

if you feel like that dont do biology do psychology and maths and other subject such as Sociology which is a natural fit and seems to acceptable to most universities. This is Durham's statement

Entrance Requirements - Psychology (C800)

The Department accepts a wide range of entry qualifications including GCE and VCE A levels. For further details, including our typical offer, please refer to the Durham University undergraduate degree programme database at: www.durham.ac.uk/courses

We do not ask for prior study of psychology, but if you have studied this subject at A level (or equivalent) then this will form part of our offer. In addition, if you have taken psychology at AS level but have not progressed onto A level, then we normally expect you to have achieved a minimum of Grade B in the AS level and explain in your personal statement why it was not taken onto A level. We would also advise applicants that it is an advantage to have higher level skills in Mathematics in order to help you deal with the statistical element of the programme. Although our minimum entry requirement for Mathematics is a Grade B minimum at GCSE or equivalent we prefer applicants to have achieved a Grade A or above.

Applicants should note that Admissions Selectors for Psychology (C800) and Psychology(Applied) (C817) welcome applications from those who have studied science-based subjects, essay-based subjects, languages, arts or a mixture at A level (or equivalent). However, where applicants have not studied any science at higher level (e.g. A level) we will expect to see other evidence of ability in science subjects (e.g. science-based GSCEs). Equally, where applicants have not studied an essay based subjects at higher level, we will expect to see other evidence of ability in essay based subjects (e.g. GCSEs). We do not include General Studies or Critical Thinking in our offers.

taken from Leeds

Entry requirements, fees and applying

Entry requirements

A-level: AAA to include one or more of: psychology, geography, mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, geology, economics, statistics, environmental science or computing.

A-levels in critical thinking, citizenship studies and general studies do not typically form part of our offer but we welcome them as a fourth A-level. The Extended Project is welcomed but is not included as part of our offer. We do not accept any vocational qualifications. We do not accept Applied A-levels with the exception of Applied Science. We accept only one performance based A-level (eg photography, drama, art/design, music, media studies or PE), as we don't believe they give you the academic training and skills you need to become a successful student in the School of Psychology.

GCSE: English language at grade 4 (C) and mathematics at grade 6 (B) + one of the following at grade 6 (B): physics, biology and chemistry, science or additional science. We also accept GCSEDA science (dual award) at grade 6.

Entry requirements, fees and applying

Entry requirements

A-level: AAA to include one or more of: psychology, geography, mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, geology, economics, statistics, environmental science or computing.

A-levels in critical thinking, citizenship studies and general studies do not typically form part of our offer but we welcome them as a fourth A-level. The Extended Project is welcomed but is not included as part of our offer. We do not accept any vocational qualifications. We do not accept Applied A-levels with the exception of Applied Science. We accept only one performance based A-level (eg photography, drama, art/design, music, media studies or PE), as we don't believe they give you the academic training and skills you need to become a successful student in the School of Psychology.

GCSE: English language at grade 4 (C) and mathematics at grade 6 (B) + one of the following at grade 6 (B): physics, biology and chemistry, science or additional science. We also accept GCSEDA science (dual award) at grade 6.
Bottom choice.
Original post by random_matt
Bottom choice.

i dont understand your comments. OP has stated on another thread the unis she is interested in and these include Durham and Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest