mattiboy7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got my maths mock back and I just about got grade 4 (I am doing higher tier) and my target is a 8. I am so sad but I am still not motivated. the fact that I got a 4 just brought my self confidence down. I keep thinking there is nothing I can do or its too late. my parent are screaming at me. (I am Asian, therefore my parent expect at least a grade 7) I feel like I am never happy any more. my English grade is a 4 and everything else is like 4/5. can someone tell me what I can do to get 7. is it too late to aim for a 7??
Iahmed512
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mattiboy7)
I got my maths mock back and I just about got grade 4 (I am doing higher tier) and my target is a 8. I am so sad but I am still not motivated. the fact that I got a 4 just brought my self confidence down. I keep thinking there is nothing I can do or its too late. my parent are screaming at me. (I am Asian, therefore my parent expect at least a grade 7) I feel like I am never happy any more. my English grade is a 4 and everything else is like 4/5. can someone tell me what I can do to get 7. is it too late to aim for a 7??
No of course it's not too late to aim for a 7, but it will be if you leave it till after Easter.
I'm Asian too, I know how you feel. In my last mock I didn't do bad, I got grade 5 in higher tier and didn't only just get it, my dad was disappointed and thought I done bad and not happy although he didn't directly say it to me.
The mocks I just done I got grade 8, but I revised like crazy, I revised so much for maths I hardly revised for other subjects, even though a lot of what came up in maths mock was topics I hadn't revised I was still able to do them because I got better from maths and problem solving from doing it so much.
Just practice lots, do practice questions on topics you don't understand online, or even just worksheets and do practice papers. If you don't understand a topic, use the books if you don't understand the book's method use YouTube. With maths you can never master it by just reading it and with little revision. Be honest have you revised a lot for mocks, with my previous mocks I revised a fair bit but I started too late and I done practice papers but I didn't understand the answers so I wasn't benefitting from it.
I'm still not a pro at maths but have got a lot better and feel a lot better about it so you can still ask for more advice.
What's your exam board for maths.
mattiboy7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Iahmed512)
No of course it's not too late to aim for a 7, but it will be if you leave it till after Easter.
I'm Asian too, I know how you feel. In my last mock I didn't do bad, I got grade 5 in higher tier and didn't only just get it, my dad was disappointed and thought I done bad and not happy although he didn't directly say it to me.
The mocks I just done I got grade 8, but I revised like crazy, I revised so much for maths I hardly revised for other subjects, even though a lot of what came up in maths mock was topics I hadn't revised I was still able to do them because I got better from maths and problem solving from doing it so much.
Just practice lots, do practice questions on topics you don't understand online, or even just worksheets and do practice papers. If you don't understand a topic, use the books if you don't understand the book's method use YouTube. With maths you can never master it by just reading it and with little revision. Be honest have you revised a lot for mocks, with my previous mocks I revised a fair bit but I started too late and I done practice papers but I didn't understand the answers so I wasn't benefitting from it.
I'm still not a pro at maths but have got a lot better and feel a lot better about it so you can still ask for more advice.
What's your exam board for maths.

thankyou soooo much. i am doing edexcel. u? i also cannot do problem solving problems at all. i fee like trig and stuff are the type of thing you can learn but like things such as problem soliving. you cant. i can't ever figure out if i should times or divide. i am accutally so bad. do exam board have similar problem solving every time?
HT2412
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's certainly not too late. If you don't try then you will never know.

I recommend using a website called mathsgenie. If you Google 'mathsgenie GCSE revision' then you'll find it. On there is a list of topics with question booklets for each topic. It sorts topics by grade, and then it gives you the solutions and an explanation video for some topics. Make sure that you're using the new specification material and not the material for the old GCSE course.

Hope that this helps.
-,-
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
use corbettmaths 5-a-day worksheets! Incorporating a little bit of maths revision everyday will boost your grades so much. Mymaths is a really good tool but if you dont have access to it then use YouTube videos. Also don't confine yourself to just edexcel papers because at the end of the day maths is maths and the more practice you get in, the better.
Iahmed512
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mattiboy7)
thankyou soooo much. i am doing edexcel. u? i also cannot do problem solving problems at all. i fee like trig and stuff are the type of thing you can learn but like things such as problem soliving. you cant. i can't ever figure out if i should times or divide. i am accutally so bad. do exam board have similar problem solving every time?
You're welcome. Feel free to message me for anything else. What kind of problem solving. If you really understand a topic you should be able to do the hardest questions on it, and usually if you can't you don't fully understand the topic, so should go over it again but not all the time. My exam board is aqa, it is easier but aqa can be misleading, and I think have higher grade boundaries so it evens out.

Yes with the new spec with maths there is more consistency, so they are all out of 80 marks and have paper 1 as non calculator and 2 and 3 as calculator. So with higher there is about 25-35% problem solving. And 15-25 for foundation. Might be slightly less if I'm remembering it wrong but not too much. So yes they all have a lot of problem solving.

About multiplying and dividing what sort of questions or topics are you referring to. What topics do you find hard?
Iahmed512
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As others have said, just maths, Corbett maths and maths genie are quite helpful too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (291)
65.54%
No (153)
34.46%

Watched Threads