Cambridge vs UPenn/Cornell/UC Berkeley Watch

This discussion is closed.
telegogo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My son receives an offer from Cambridge (Physical Science) and is recently admitted to UPenn/Cornell/UC Berkeley among some other universities in US.

We are from Asia. He has been prepared himself for study in US for 2 years and only decided to apply Cambridge in Oct last year. His dream school are Princeton/Yale but he was rejected by them. He loves the flexibility of US curriculum. He loves physics but does not want to limit too much in his college study. He may want to explore more in different areas. Cambridge is Cambridge, its reputation is in par with Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford in our opinion. The name will for sure be very helpful in his career lifelong. The study will be in depth and concentrated. He probably won't go for master/phD immediately after bachelor degree.

Cost is not an issue for us.

Can i have some recommendations? thanks.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Berkeley, i'm biased though.
telegogo
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Berkeley, i'm biased though.
Reason, even though biased?

The concern for BC Berkeley is that it is a stated university and resouces is less. Physics should be strongest among the three us celleges.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Edward Tolman, look him up.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oops, didn't read physical science.
telegogo
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Edward Tolman, look him up.
What do you mean? Who’s Edward Tolman? Thanks.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by telegogo)
What do you mean? Who’s Edward Tolman? Thanks.
A behaviourist in his day, simply a legend. He is not the only famous person to come from Berkeley.

But you should decide which of these places excels most at the subject in question.
ImprobableCacti
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My son receives an offer from Cambridge (Physical Science) and is recently admitted to UPenn/Cornell/UC Berkeley among some other universities in US.

We are from Asia. He has been prepared himself for study in US for 2 years and only decided to apply Cambridge in Oct last year. His dream school are Princeton/Yale but he was rejected by them. He loves the flexibility of US curriculum. He loves physics but does not want to limit too much in his college study. He may want to explore more in different areas. Cambridge is Cambridge, its reputation is in par with Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford in our opinion. The name will for sure be very helpful in his career lifelong. The study will be in depth and concentrated. He probably won't go for master/phD immediately after bachelor degree.

Physical NatSci at Cambridge would still allow him to explore other areas of science, he wouldn’t be just limited to physics
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

NatSci is a broad course at Cambridge, that's a key difference compared to Physics courses at other UK universities.

Also he will get his BA in 3 years, instead of 4 in the US.

And if he does well in the Tripos (the name of degree courses at Cambridge) he can continue to Part III and get the MSci, equivalent to a Masters, in the 4th year.
SvenjaFisher
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I would say that Cambridge offers a very broad field in the chosen degree which does not limit your son to just physics. I would recommend Cambridge, since he would get the degree faster, be treated under a better social system and - even though cost is not an issue for you - it would cost him a third of what the same degree costs in the US.
I am definitely sure Cambridge will challenge your son and will guarantee him many open doors because of its prestigious reputation.

This is just my opinion of course, and I think that UPenn/Cornell/Berkeley are great schools - I have friends who go there - but I think that Cambridge would be the best option for your son.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
qwe1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
UPenn is much harder to get in.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by qwe1234)
UPenn is much harder to get in.
They already had the UPenn offer.

This is an old thread, and now closed unless the OP wishes to reopen it (if so, PM me telegogo )
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (109)
58.29%
No (78)
41.71%

Watched Threads