username1987655
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does anyone have any arguments that agree with this or any links to critical essays?

Thanks in advance
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They're fairytales. Clue is in the name.
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
They're fairytales. Clue is in the name.
Thanks but i'm looking for critical essays that support the statement as this is a debate we are discussing
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MediaROCKS)
Thanks but i'm looking for critical essays that support the statement as this is a debate we are discussing
You were also looking for arguments agreeing with it, and that's my argument. Not a scientific one, but still an argument.

Look on Google scholar for journal articles. What subject is this and at what level?
username1987655
Rep:
?
You were also looking for arguments agreeing with it, and that's my argument. Not a scientific one, but still an argument.

Look on Google scholar for journal articles. What subject is this and at what level?
Thank you and hope I didn't come across rude and this is for A level law
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fairytales are fictional stories, but just like movies that are "based on a true story" they can have some truth behind them or a moral to them. I believe they were often used to warn children to stay out of the woods or as exaggerations of real events.
So although the children being eaten by a witch is make believe, the danger of being rude to your parents and them ditching you could be a real warning. Snow White may never have existed, but the message of not trusting a creepy old lady trying to give you food is real.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MediaROCKS)
Thank you and hope I didn't come across rude and this is for A level law
Moved to Law study help

No it didn't come across rude.
mintchocchip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup they’re fake but I still love em😂
milliewastestime
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Arguably many of the classic fairytales like Snow White are based off real people in history (hers was off some 16th century European but can’t remember what exactly happened), but are all really gruesome so were altered to cater to a young audience. So when you think of it like that, they’re not entirely make-believe because they’re about real events, just watered down.
Then a lot of them have morals as well, cautionary tales and stories that are used to teach kids right and wrong in the real world. So stories aren’t explicitly real but their implicit meanings are.
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by milliewastestime)
Arguably many of the classic fairytales like Snow White are based off real people in history (hers was off some 16th century European but can’t remember what exactly happened), but are all really gruesome so were altered to cater to a young audience. So when you think of it like that, they’re not entirely make-believe because they’re about real events, just watered down.
Then a lot of them have morals as well, cautionary tales and stories that are used to teach kids right and wrong in the real world. So stories aren’t explicitly real but their implicit meanings are.
Thank you
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by rainbowcat1437)
Yup they’re fake but I still love em😂
haha me too

Moved to Law study help

No it didn't come across rude.
Thanks!
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does this have to do with law?
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by Forum User)
I think its just debating, my teacher set it as a class debate
Mimir
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
Seconded but let's see what happens
DoNotDivideBy0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, resort to the good old debaters' trick of quibbling over the meaning of a word in the title.

This title has a spectacularly ambiguous word in it: "just". You don't have to read it as meaning "only" ... and since this is a law assignment, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to make your argument that no, many of them are UNjust make-believe. There's not a whole lot of justice in many of them!

You'll really wrong-foot your adversaries with that argument. If they're wide awake enough they'll shoot back "noscitur a sociis" at you; so be ready to argue that the legal context cannot be ignores, and that "just" is a legal term of art ...
username1987655
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotDivideBy0)
Well, resort to the good old debaters' trick of quibbling over the meaning of a word in the title.

This title has a spectacularly ambiguous word in it: "just". You don't have to read it as meaning "only" ... and since this is a law assignment, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to make your argument that no, many of them are UNjust make-believe. There's not a whole lot of justice in many of them!

You'll really wrong-foot your adversaries with that argument. If they're wide awake enough they'll shoot back "noscitur a sociis" at you; so be ready to argue that the legal context cannot be ignores, and that "just" is a legal term of art ...
Thanks wouldnt have thought of that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads