The Student Room Group

Has there actually been any good music that's been released in the last 2-3 years?

I admit I haven't properly kept up to date with the new music that's been released since about 2015. But as far as I can tell, there have been no good tunes that have been released in the last 2-3 years.

When I compare to the music released in 2009-2012, there were so many good tunes in this period. Artists like Flo Rida, David Guetta, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga, Taio Cruz, Chris Brown, Carly Rae Jepson's Call Me Maybe, Psy's Gangnam Style, and a number of other artists.

They all released incredibly catchy and good tunes which I heard in the gym, at clubs and bars, in shops, everywhere. Now I can't find any good tunes released since about 2015. Even 2013-2014 the music wasn't that good (although some good tunes were released).

Can anyone point me towards some good music which he been released in the last 2-3 years? Or has there genuinely been no good tunes since then?
This thread is strange.

Pop music is still being made yes. All the stuff you named is the standard stuff that dominates the charts. Just get a Now CD or something. The stuff you named is no different to what's out now.

There has been loads of good stuff over the past three years but you're specifically asking about catchy chart music, but chart music is pretty much always catchy because it's designed to appeal to the most people as possible. If you've heard recent tunes and don't like them then I can only guess you like the artists you named because of nostalgia.

It's no better or worse than what's in the top 40 right this second.
Of course, plenty of good music has been released and will continue to be released, but everyone has different tastes.

If you're finding that the type of music that's being played in the charts doesn't appeal to you then get an account on Spotify and try to find music that you enjoy there instead, or talk to people who share the same taste in music as you and ask them what they're listening to recently.

If you're just bored of music made by humans, then try music made by Robots instead :wink:

[video="youtube;bAdqazixuRY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAdqazixuRY[/video]
chart music's a hit and miss, there's defo been some good recent artists though:
khalid
billie eilish
dua lipa
lorde
jon bellion (not well known but his music's amazing)
brockhampton

spotify's good for recommending you artists depending on what you previously listened to: pop (catchy) music's relatively easy to find,
(edited 5 years ago)
Music taste is really subjective...

I mean, personally, the idea that you can say there are no good tunes now, and then bring up 2009-2012 as an example of good tunes, is crazy since, imo, that period was no better, if not slightly worse when it came to "good tunes". Catchy? Sure. Good? Not so much...

Some personal highlights of mine; they can't be that bad if a metalhead likes them...

Taylor Swift - Delicate
The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar - Pray For Me
Camila Cabelle - Never Be The Same ain't that bad
Eminem Ft. Ed Sheeran - River
Ed Sheeran - Perfect
A lot of Burno Mar's stuff is pretty decent

I'd go though some of my other stuff, but you don't seem like the sort to be into rock and metal, that and I cba to date check everything... Wander beyond the charts and you'll find plenty of good music...

Although since I've now mentioned metal in a thread about pop, it only makes sense that I at least name drop Babymetal...
(edited 5 years ago)
Black Beatles - Rae Sremmurd 🌚
Rihanna and Bruno Mars are the only ones still making good music. Although Chris Brown is my favourite singer, his music nowadays ain’t that poppin’ expect Questions and Freaky Friday. Like 2016-2018. 2009 was the best year of music.
Maybe it's time to look outside of the top 40 charts. Many more genres out there.
If you are going to only listen to music a record has paid to get put on the radio what the **** do you expect?

If all the effort your are willing to put in is not turning the radio off then that's your problem, deal with it.
Basically, don't listen to the charts. If you like rock, then Wolf Alice are an amazing band to listen to, (music taste is a personal thing so up to you) along with loads of other rock groups.

Check out Spotify for Indie and rock stuff or from your tastes look for other stuff too.

Personally, I don't like pop music for the most part and like a lot of everything else, mainly stuck in the 70's, so some would think my music taste is awful.
black panther movie that released a month ago has a nice soundtrack
I'm totally not into pop at all, but in the areas and genres of music that I'm interested in, there's been a ton of great tunes coming out. In regards to pop music, the musicians that stick out to me, personally, have always been Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, and more recently, some of Charlie Puth's stuff. Despite Ed Sheeran's new record being nowhere near as good as his last one, I think there are still some really good songs there, and Bruno Mars and Sam Smith crank out some really, really good music.

For the most part, I'm stuck in the 70's-80's, though, and music is totally subjective. For me, I'd recommend most people explore acoustic and folk punk, indie rock, and new wave stuff, because that's the kind of music I love.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Kampfar - Profan.
Original post by snowman77
I admit I haven't properly kept up to date with the new music that's been released since about 2015. But as far as I can tell, there have been no good tunes that have been released in the last 2-3 years.

When I compare to the music released in 2009-2012, there were so many good tunes in this period. Artists like Flo Rida, David Guetta, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga, Taio Cruz, Chris Brown, Carly Rae Jepson's Call Me Maybe, Psy's Gangnam Style, and a number of other artists.

They all released incredibly catchy and good tunes which I heard in the gym, at clubs and bars, in shops, everywhere. Now I can't find any good tunes released since about 2015. Even 2013-2014 the music wasn't that good (although some good tunes were released).

Can anyone point me towards some good music which he been released in the last 2-3 years? Or has there genuinely been no good tunes since then?

Musical theatre.

‘Nuff said.
Original post by snowman77

Yes, there has been good music come out since 2015.
Theres music by rag and bone man and shania twains new album for starters.
Been dreadful lately any music released
Original post by TheMcSame
Music taste is really subjective...

I mean, personally, the idea that you can say there are no good tunes now, and then bring up 2009-2012 as an example of good tunes, is crazy since, imo, that period was no better, if not slightly worse when it came to "good tunes". Catchy? Sure. Good? Not so much...

Some personal highlights of mine; they can't be that bad if a metalhead likes them...

Taylor Swift - Delicate
The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar - Pray For Me
Camila Cabelle - Never Be The Same ain't that bad
Eminem Ft. Ed Sheeran - River
Ed Sheeran - Perfect
A lot of Burno Mar's stuff is pretty decent

I'd go though some of my other stuff, but you don't seem like the sort to be into rock and metal, that and I cba to date check everything... Wander beyond the charts and you'll find plenty of good music...

Although since I've now mentioned metal in a thread about pop, it only makes sense that I at least name drop Babymetal...

TRUE!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest