Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine 4 offers- Should I withdraw and reapply watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there will be people who read this thread and think I am bonkers but...
    I am a A-Level student who applied for medicine this year with deferred entry for 2019, I received offers from all 4 of my choices.
    When I was applying I wasn't confident in my ability to get any offers at all so instead of choosing the universities I wanted to go to most, I picked the ones I thought I had the best chance of getting an offer from.
    Having received 4 offers I am now wondering whether I could actually get an offer from Imperial, Queen Marys, Cardiff or Cambridge (my favourite 4)?
    Would it be completely foolish to withdraw and reapply October?
    For context
    - GCSEs 7A* 2A and 1 distinction* BTEC
    - AS 2A
    - A2 predicted 3A*
    - UKCAT 720 SJT Band 1
    - BMAT didn't sit it this cycle

ReputationRep:
    So you essentially applied strategically (I'm assuming you weren't sill enough to actually just look at the league table and only pick from the bottom ones), and got offers. You did what I wish a lot more of applicants would do.

You have 4 offers and none of them are appealing enough that you actually want to go through the process again and risk getting 4 rejections? Just remember that league tables are essentially irrelevant for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    So you essentially applied strategically (I'm assuming you weren't sill enough to actually just look at the league table and only pick from the bottom ones), and got offers. You did what I wish a lot more of applicants would do.

You have 4 offers and none of them are appealing enough that you actually want to go through the process again and risk getting 4 rejections? Just remember that league tables are essentially irrelevant for medicine.
    Yep your correct I didn't pick them because they were bottom of the league table (that is purely coincidental) I picked them because my UKCAT, GCSE's and A-levels were well above there cut offs so I knew I was guaranteed an interview.
    I don't hate any of them and I'm sure I'll have a good time wherever I go. If I hadn't applied deferred entry I wouldn't even be considering this. I know how lucky I am to have 4 offers for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest does anyone know whether I can sit the UKCAT and BMAT (September) before I make my desicion or would this jeopardise my deferred entry offer? (Assuming I get the A-level grades)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7459236)
    I'm sure there will be people who read this thread and think I am bonkers but...
    I am a A-Level student who applied for medicine this year with deferred entry for 2019, I received offers from all 4 of my choices.
    When I was applying I wasn't confident in my ability to get any offers at all so instead of choosing the universities I wanted to go to most, I picked the ones I thought I had the best chance of getting an offer from (all in the bottom 10 in the league tables).
    Having received 4 offers I am now wondering whether I could actually get an offer from Imperial, Queen Marys, Cardiff or Cambridge (my favourite 4)?
    For context
    - AS 2A
    - A2 predicted 3A*
    - UKCAT 720 SJT Band 1
    Hi,

I would say you would be foolish to not consider taking 1 of the 4 offers you have already obtained. Medical schools have to train medical students to the same standard in concordance with the GMC. How they actually reach this goal may differ between medical schools. Some may disagree but I would say league tables don't really count for medicine. It's one of the most competitive courses in the country with a practically guaranteed job at the end. You're not only playing a very risky game withdrawing and reapplying next year; you would need to resit the UKCAT as well plus obtaining offers will not be guaranteed for when you reapply.

Where are you current 4 offers for?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yep your correct I didn't pick them because they were bottom of the league table (that is purely coincidental) I picked them because my UKCAT, GCSE's and A-levels were well above there cut offs so I knew I was guaranteed an interview.
    I don't hate any of them and I'm sure I'll have a good time wherever I go. If I hadn't applied deferred entry I wouldn't even be considering this. I know how lucky I am to have 4 offers for medicine.
    I think you're playing a dangerous game. You say you'll be happy wherever you go. Don't throw away what you've achieved so far just because you want to go to places higher up in the league table.

Out of interest does anyone know whether I can sit the UKCAT and BMAT (September) before I make my desicion or would this jeopardise my deferred entry offer? (Assuming I get the A-level grades)
    You could sit the UKCAT early in the summer and you'd get your BMAT results before the UCAS deadline. I don't tink the places you have offers from will even be informed.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you pick a firm and insurance as normal and then sit the UKCAT anyway? That way if you do amazing on the UKCAT you can decide to reapply if you want, but if it goes badly you still have unis to go to?

ReputationRep:
    Your probably all right Its too much of a risk really. I guess if I do come out with A*A*A* on results day I still have time to sit the UKCAT and BMAT if I do want to. If I did withdraw. Would I have to declare I was a re-applicant to medicine? and Do you think this would disadvantage me? (Would a University potentially see me as someone who was having doubts about medicine, if they knew I had withdraw previously)

ReputationRep:
    for imperial just get a good bmat, barts make sure ur achieved grades are v good ( since u wont have predicted grades anymore) and that u get a similar ukcat, cardiff very unlikely that you'd get an interview with those GCSEs, for cambs get a good bmat
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    What universities have you got offers from? Surely at least one of them is good enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    What universities have you got offers from? Surely at least one of them is good enough for you?
    Not sure I want to say, for two reasons: one I don't want to offend anyone and two I know it will make me easily identifiable to some of my friends who also use TSR.
    Like I said earlier they are all good enough for me (to say any med school isn't good enough would be pretty arrogant, I tried to word my question so it didn't sound like that). It is more just slight regret that I could of potentially (no guarantee of course) received an offer from one of my dream uni's.

ReputationRep:
    All Med School courses conform to the standard curriculum requirements of the GMC. Whilst they may have a different 'flavour', all Med degrees are essentially the same in what they teach. None of your future patients are ever going ask you where you trained - all they will want to know is that you are a trained doctor. Where you go to University, isnt actually that important. You wont get a 'better' offer next year. And you might not get any offers at all.

Or is this just nerves? EVERYONE going to Uni this autumn will be feeling nervous/excited/a bit scared. If its more than that, ie. If you are getting cold feet about the whole idea of going to Med School specifically, you must ask yourself honestly, do you really still want to be a doctor...... or was it all about just the flattery of being offered a place?

ReputationRep:
    When I was applying I wasn't confident in my ability to get any offers at all so instead of choosing the universities I wanted to go to most, I picked the ones I thought I had the best chance of getting an offer from (all in the bottom 10 in the league tables).
    For context
    - AS 2A
    - A2 predicted 3A*
    - UKCAT 720 SJT Band 1
    Is your entire grievance with the fact that your chosen schools are in the bottom ten of the league tables? Why does this bother you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Is your entire grievance with the fact that your chosen schools are in the bottom ten of the league tables? Why does this bother you?
    As I stated earlier, this is completely a coincidence, I didn't even look at the league tables when I applied.

ReputationRep:
    You should concentrate on getting your A levels. At present you have 4 offers but you don't yet have a place at any medical school. If you still want to study medicine and if you get the required grades then you could decide if you are willing to gamble with a reapplication.

ReputationRep:
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS 👩🏽🏆🎉🎊
    And second of all, yes it will be foolish if you withdraw (in the nicest possible way) because Medicine is a course where it’s kinda based on luck as soooo many have them grades (sometimes better) and don’t get in. It’s also that type of course where regardless of which uni you go, you won’t be looked down on, by an employer and you will always get a job.
    For instance, a Cambridge doctor won’t be any better than a Leeds doctor as the courses are the ‘same’ and if they were taught to ‘different standards’ it would put patients at risk. So they are all extremely good at what they do. Some people don’t even get accepted to one uni and their stats maybe the exact same as yours, just be grateful as your literally one of the lucky few 🍀💚
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As I stated earlier, this is completely a coincidence, I didn't even look at the league tables when I applied.
    It's honestly not worth the effort reapplying, as another poster said, league tables are irrelevant when it comes to medicine and all medicine students will get a placement in an NHS hospital and eventually a job in one as well regardless of uni.

Remember, very few universities have the permission to deliver a medicine course and you should be proud that you got into one.

ReputationRep:
    Reading the answers to this thread has made me realise that I was kinda stupid to even consider withdrawing (think I'd lost a bit of perspective about how lucky I am) glad I asked the question though because I very nearly did something stupid. You'll probably all be pleased to know I just submitted my firm and insurance!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Reading the answers to this thread has made me realise that I was kinda stupid to even consider withdrawing (think I'd lost a bit of perspective about how lucky I am) glad I asked the question though because I very nearly did something stupid. You'll probably all be pleased to know I just submitted my firm and insurance!!!!
    Good for you, I'm sure everyone has at one point succumbed to league table mania, even if it's temporarily.

Good luck on you course

ReputationRep:
    Congrats

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.