The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature - Ralph in Lord of the Flies

Hello, my GCSEs start in just over a months time. I am aiming for a 9 in english literature.

However, I am struggling to understand the significance of the character Ralph in Lord of the Flies - namely, why does he retain partial innocence? If Golding’s message is that everybody is innately evil, why is Ralph an exception? Also how would you approach writing about him in an exam?

I understand Simon, a spiritual figure and Piggy, an intellectual, but why Ralph? Please help me! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by catherinexpayne
Hello, my GCSEs start in just over a months time. I am aiming for a 9 in english literature.

However, I am struggling to understand the significance of the character Ralph in Lord of the Flies - namely, why does he retain partial innocence? If Golding’s message is that everybody is innately evil, why is Ralph an exception? Also how would you approach writing about him in an exam?

I understand Simon, a spiritual figure and Piggy, an intellectual, but why Ralph? Please help me! :smile:

Ralph is a middle ground between Jack and Piggy; he acknowledges Piggy's intellect and attempts to protect him.
Original post by catherinexpayne

Throughout the novel, Ralph has the sense of superiority and can be represented and symbolised through the use of the CONCH. We can see that Ralph is superior as very early on he tells Piggy to "get [his] clothes. Also, we can understand that this authoritive nature could be from Ralphs father as he was in the "navy"
I wouldn't say he's an exception - Golding's message is that everyone has a dark side to their nature, but that doesn't mean that everyone is at the same extremes as Jack or Roger, for example. Considering Ralph and Piggy both participated in the death of Simon (and refusing to acknowledge that they did so, saying that "it was an accident"), I suppose you can argue that they're just as bad as the rest of them, but don't always openly seek to kill as some of the others do.

If you did want to argue that, however, you could definitely say that it's something to do with his natural leadership abilities and desire for "rules" and democracy from the moment the boys arrive on the island, as he may have known what has the potential to happen if there are no rules/etc. (which is ironically what ends up happening anyway).

You can argue whatever you want in Literature really, as long as it somewhat makes sense and you can back it up :>

Quick Reply

Latest