Is it hard to be vegan?

Watch
gurdsaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A question for vegans or people that used to be vegan. How hard is it? Do you find there are enough options around in the market today for vegans?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you like meat, yeah. It's like any other addiction
vegangirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gurdsaw)
A question for vegans or people that used to be vegan. How hard is it? Do you find there are enough options around in the market today for vegans?
yeah we are not catered for very well
clearasilly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are lots of substitutes but if I'm honest they are quite expensive. Obviously if you're mostly living off rice, beans, veg, pasta, potatoes etc. it's pretty cheap. But if you're looking for meat replacements and vegan desserts and ready meals then they are quite expensive and there isn't always much variety in smaller supermarkets.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Food and Drink

chelseadagg3r and She-Ra might know
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hm. So, at uni I find it pretty easy. There's pretty much always a meal deal I can grab, loads of restaurants I can go to, and the supermarkets cater really well. At home, I live quite rurally, so it's not so easy. The supermarkets don't cater very well at all, so I do have to get more creative and it's quite difficult to eat out. I don't find it to be too expensive at all. The only thing I really struggle with is medication. At least one of my medications isn't vegan because it contains milk proteins and there's not really anything I can do about it. I can't not take it and it has to be that one, so in that sense it has been difficult because I do feel more torn about that
dartagnankillian
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As someone who really took time to research nutrition, cheap and healthy recipes and reasons why to go vegan, I found it easy. Nobody around me is vegan btw. I’d suggest watching some YouTubers and getting into the mindset of instead of ‘I can’t eat meat and dairy’ to ‘I don’t want to eat them’. Once you’re there, it’s easy. Just acknowledge people aren’t perfect but one mess up means nothing. Good luck!
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think I would find it hard to be vegan, especially during the first few months. Meat and animal products make up a huge part of my diet and I would struggle without it. I also have issues with my blood pressure so I don't think it would be healthy for me to go vegan. Of course I don't know that for certain, but I'm happy being a meat eater so I don't have to worry about that.
dartagnankillian
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
*I should also add that I find there to be enough substitutes, but I don't buy them. It's things like 'vegan ice-cream' and fake meats and cheeses that make veganism expensive. I buy things like chickpeas, frozen veggies, chopped tomatoes etc. and make things from scratch which is super-duper cheap, fun and healthy. And if you find it hard, just try to be as vegan as possible (e.g using a milk-substitute with your cereal or coffee) as every little helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads