username3819820
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
for As further maths, have to do only Fp1?

core maths and further maths are considered as 2 subjects in A/l?
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mindwave)
for As further maths, have to do only Fp1?

core maths and further maths are considered as 2 subjects in A/l?
Make it clearer what your on about and what exam board.
username3819820
Rep:
?
(Original post by ckfeister)
Make it clearer what your on about and what exam board.
edexcel AS. and i need to know for 3 subjects physics, maths c12 and further maths fp1 only?
thotproduct
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there. I'm in Y12 doing FM too.

If by core maths you mean regular A Level Maths, this is what I'm assuming here before answering, unless you genuinely mean CORE Maths, but I doubt that's the appropriate thing.

For AS FM, due to the new reform this year, you're not really doing modular units anymore. It will depend on your board. On Edexcel, whilst the exams themselves are not modular and don't count towards the final A Level anymore, you do FP1, FP2, M1, M2 etc. For OCR A, and other boards, you'll have Pure Core, Discrete (Decision), Mechanics, Statistics, and Additional Pure (if you're on OCR A).

For Edexcel, the units have been rejigged a bit, FP1 no longer refers to old FP1, it is slightly different. The mandatory pure you do in Y12 AS FM, will be mostly based off the OLD FP1, this is known as Core Pure, FP1 is now an optional unit, which encompasses slightly different content. I can clarify this further, but you should take a look to see what exam board you'll be on first.

As for the second question, yes, Maths and Further Maths are considered as 2 subjects at A Level, the only exception is a few Medical Schools, however some of them are phasing out this practice.
username3819820
Rep:
?
(Original post by AryanGh)
Hey there. I'm in Y12 doing FM too.

If by core maths you mean regular A Level Maths, this is what I'm assuming here before answering, unless you genuinely mean CORE Maths, but I doubt that's the appropriate thing.

For AS FM, due to the new reform this year, you're not really doing modular units anymore. It will depend on your board. On Edexcel, whilst the exams themselves are not modular and don't count towards the final A Level anymore, you do FP1, FP2, M1, M2 etc. For OCR A, and other boards, you'll have Pure Core, Discrete (Decision), Mechanics, Statistics, and Additional Pure (if you're on OCR A).

For Edexcel, the units have been rejigged a bit, FP1 no longer refers to old FP1, it is slightly different. The mandatory pure you do in Y12 AS FM, will be mostly based off the OLD FP1, this is known as Core Pure, FP1 is now an optional unit, which encompasses slightly different content. I can clarify this further, but you should take a look to see what exam board you'll be on first.

As for the second question, yes, Maths and Further Maths are considered as 2 subjects at A Level, the only exception is a few Medical Schools, however some of them are phasing out this practice.
my board is edexcel. i thought to complete a/l in maths c1234,physics, further maths fp1,fp2,fp3 instead of chemistry
thotproduct
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mindwave)
my board is edexcel. i thought to complete a/l in maths c1234,physics, further maths fp1,fp2,fp3 instead of chemistry
As of 2017 Maths has been reformed such that we no longer have the units C1-4, for Edexcel, for normal maths, it is laid out as such.

One exam in just 'Pure Maths', and one exam in 'Statistics and Mechanics', you no longer have the choice of which applied units you do for maths, all content here is mandatory. However, the actual content in AS 'Pure', is based largely on C1 and C2, the AS Mech and Stats based on some M1/S1 topics. With A2, you also have Pure, and mandatory Stats and Mech, where this is based on C3/C4, and some of M2/S2 respectively.

For Further Maths, modules can be selected, however they no longer have individual bearings on your final A Level,

You have 'Core Pure 1' at AS, which encompasses most of content from old FP1, additionally you have a selection of FM1 (Further Mechanics 1), which takes content from M1, M2, and bits of M3, and FS1 (Further Statistics 1), which takes content from S1-4 in bits.

The new FP1 and FP2 are different, these take content from old FP2/FP3 and other bits from other modules. You can take two modules, in any order, I take it that you're wanting to take exclusively pure modules, theoretically this is possible, however it is likely that your school will select the modules for you. If you're that desperate to do all pure, you can self teach the modules and enter yourself in the exam, as they only take your best two units.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads