The Student Room Group

How do I deal with homophobic parents?

My mum doesn't believe I'm gay, apparently it is a phase. Despite me coming out to her 2-3 years ago.

My dad just knows, I've never said "I'm gay" but I've told him I've gone on dates with guys and things to which he says he's disappointed. He calls me things like poofter etc. He regularly says things about gays in the news like "disgusting ******s" "don't bend over around men like that" "willy woofter" even though I've told him to stop saying things like that. My mum doesn't support me.

I try and normalise being gay to my mum by speaking about my boyfriend of a year and half who makes me very happy and is a good match. She NEVER asks anything. She tried to avoid the topic completely. She acts as if he doesn't exist. I forced her into meeting him once and it was almost comical how she literally said Hi and left and was extremely awkward.

It really hurts me when I see my brothers girlfriend be accepted etc.

She's happy enough to say she's proud of me for going to Cambridge but just ignores what I suppose is a pretty big part of my life.

During vac, home just feels like a massively depressing and suffocating place to be.
Original post by Anonymous
My mum doesn't believe I'm gay, apparently it is a phase. Despite me coming out to her 2-3 years ago.

My dad just knows, I've never said "I'm gay" but I've told him I've gone on dates with guys and things to which he says he's disappointed. He calls me things like poofter etc. He regularly says things about gays in the news like "disgusting ******s" "don't bend over around men like that" "willy woofter" even though I've told him to stop saying things like that. My mum doesn't support me.

I try and normalise being gay to my mum by speaking about my boyfriend of a year and half who makes me very happy and is a good match. She NEVER asks anything. She tried to avoid the topic completely. She acts as if he doesn't exist. I forced her into meeting him once and it was almost comical how she literally said Hi and left and was extremely awkward.

It really hurts me when I see my brothers girlfriend be accepted etc.

She's happy enough to say she's proud of me for going to Cambridge but just ignores what I suppose is a pretty big part of my life.

During vac, home just feels like a massively depressing and suffocating place to be.

Unfortunately not much you can do. Older generations tend to have outdated views like this. Just try not to let it affect your relationship with your boyfriend. Keep being happy, and don't be afraid to mention your relationship around your parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending