The Student Room Group

Am I being spoilt or do I really need a new phone

So I'm 14 and I have a Samsung s5 mini, it doesn't work and when my mum calls me it doesn't show up in my logs and then my mum tells me off because I don't pick up. The phone is really slow itself and even when I type the letters glitch and slow down. I've been asking my mum for a new phone and I really don't mind even if it's an iPhone 6. But now I'm questioning if I'm just really spoilt and ungrateful for what I have. At the moment I've been saving up for a new phone since my birthday is in a week and if I don't get a new phone by then I'll have to buy it myself.
Reply 1
Original post by Lopmop
So I’m 14... I really don't mind even if it's an iPhone 6... and if I don't get a new phone by then I'll have to buy it myself

Yes you sound really spoilt and ungrateful for what you have. I won’t say the reasons, I’ll let you figure them out by yourself.
“Even if it’s an iphone 6” like the iphone 6 is £3.90..
If the phone really is having problems just get the phone you have now fixed, take it to a shop or something. You don't need a whole new phone.
i didnt even have a phone when i was 14

i got an iphone 4s when i was 15 and i'm still stuck with it now at 17
those are good reasons, but instead of an iphone 6 just get an android for like 150-200 quid. Do some research and you'll find a really good phone.
Reply 6
Original post by Lopmop
So I'm 14 and I have a Samsung s5 mini, it doesn't work and when my mum calls me it doesn't show up in my logs and then my mum tells me off because I don't pick up. The phone is really slow itself and even when I type the letters glitch and slow down. I've been asking my mum for a new phone and I really don't mind even if it's an iPhone 6. But now I'm questioning if I'm just really spoilt and ungrateful for what I have. At the moment I've been saving up for a new phone since my birthday is in a week and if I don't get a new phone by then I'll have to buy it myself.

If your phone isn't working properly and your family have the means to buy you a replacement it isn't unreasonable to want/ ask that. At the end of the day it's your parents choice of they do or not and obviously expecting something crazy expensive is a bit out of line. But it's not spoilt for most people to expect to have a working phone.
If your family don't have the means though or aren't willing to buy you a new phone it might be more appropriate to ask for some contribution or get it yourself.
If your phone isn't registering calls though I would think it reasonable in at least a majority of situations to get some sort of phone to replace it (even if just a brick).

Really this is the sort of thing that comes down to individual situations and families and how they work.
lopmop
then my mum tells me off because I don't pick up

Have you actually showed her this is what happens so that she stops blaming you for it?

But yeah, I don't think spoiled is the right word if your current phone is defective and you're saving up to buy a new one yourself. Ask for money from your parents/relatives for your birthday and combine that with whatever you've saved to get a new one.

Original post by poiuytrewqzxcvbn
If the phone really is having problems just get the phone you have now fixed, take it to a shop or something. You don't need a whole new phone.

The phone is four years old, so it won't be covered by warranty and will probably cost more to repair than the phone's actually worth, given that it appears to be an antenna issue. The part about being slow and crashing is probably just because it's old.
I only literally got a phone when I turned 17 🤪 But your not being ungrateful, it seems like you actually need a new phone as yours is kinda broken and messed. You could put half the money in yourself and get your parents to put the other half in as then at least your trying to contribute. 🌸☀️
its not unreasonable to ask for a replacement for something that's broken or not working properly..

The only unreasonable thing is if you ask for a replacement that's to expensive for your parents to comfortably afford.

I don't know how rich your family are.. if your millionares then an Iphone 6 or what ever is probably you being very nice and kind to them by not asking for much.. if your poor and struggling though, then its probably quite spoiled, and you should just get a very basic phone.
Original post by Lopmop

At first, I thought no, you would need a new phone if it did not function, but then you said you wouldn't mind even if it is an iPhone 6.

You are spoiled, you are basically saying you are entitled to at least that phone from your parents as if they owe you anything like it.
Unless you can afford it yourself, it is unreasonable to ask for an iphone. You can get plenty of decent phones that do similar things for half the price.
Original post by Lopmop

Based on the first part of the post, yes you need a new phone, based on "I really don't mind even if it's an iPhone 6", you are being spoilt.

IPhones are notoriously expensive, and purely from a spec point of view, (not taking into account the phone's looks or popularity), bad value.
For pure spec the best deals I've seen recently are for Huawei phones, they use android so it's not like there's anything weird about them that you'd have to get used to.

If you really want an IPhone then fair enough, but be prepared to foot the bill yourself, otherwise you could try showing a cheaper phone to your parents and see if they would be willing to contribute towards it given your existing phone isn't functioning correctly?
When I was 14, I had a Nokia then upgraded to a Motorola 😂
Original post by Lopmop

The first thing anyone should do before they buy a new phone due to performance issues is to back up their phone data on to a suitable storage device (like a laptop), save your numbers to your SIM then do a factory reset on the phone. You'd be amazed how many times that sorts performance issues out. The SSD on your phone is going to suffer if it's pretty full, and it can cause lag. Even if you don't want to go nuclear and reset the phone, delete all photos/images/files after you have backed them up, and delete the file caches too. Get rid on any apps you don't use. See if that helps your phone performance.

Also if you have to buy a phone, there are excellent phones for around £150 at the moment (e.g. the Nokia 5). Very few people get the use out of an expensive iPhone or Samsung phone. It's a bit of a waste of money when most people only use their phones for selfies, Spotify and playing Angry Birds. You could do all that on a much cheaper phone and there are some quality handsets for £150 or so. And why anyone would spend more than £200 on something you can wreck by dropping it on the pavement is beyond me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Personally I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for an iPhone, however you just have to take into consideration the fact that you might get told no.
It is not unreasonable that you want a new phone if yours isn't working but you cannot expect your parents to buy you an iphone 6 (from the way you wrote your post, you made it sound like you wanted more than an iphone 6)

Talk to your parents, see if they are willing to contribute anything but offer to get it yourself. Get a pay as you go sim and a cheaper phone. There are touchscreens on argos from £20. If you want a fancy and expensive iphone then the hard truth is you have to work for it. Save your money and try get a part time job till you can afford it
You do sound a bit ungrateful and you do act like a iphone 6 does not cost anything
If the only reason you needed a new phone was because the one you have at the moment doesn't work, you wouldn't be asking for at least an iPhone 6 and would be happy with a Samsung or cheaper make. iPhones are notoriously expensive and although the 6 isn't one of the latest models, it's still reasonably expensive second hand. If you're desperately after an iPhone, you can't expect your parents to spend that kind of money. You could ask for a contribution for your birthday but expect to pay some yourself.

What makes you sound ungrateful is the way you think an iPhone 6 is the lowest option you'd choose, something that you'd begrudgingly accept if you really had to.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ℓove
Yes you sound really spoilt and ungrateful for what you have. I won’t say the reasons, I’ll let you figure them out by yourself.

How does she sound spoilt!? She’s offering to pay for it herself and she doesn’t mind what phone it is. A spoilt child wouldn’t do that. Also she deserves a new phone. She can’t make calls which is what phones are intended for and her overall phone doesn’t work. She offering to pay for a new phone herself if her parents don’t buy it. Now, tell me how that sounds spoiled?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending