The Student Room Group

Should I do a placement year in Spain?

I have been accepted for a placement year in Spain to teach english and science, however I speak very basic Spanish and I have heard that most of them do not speak english and the crime rate is high, which does put me off. I have also never lived in a foreign country before, so i'm not sure what it would be like to live there for an entire year.
However I know this would be a great opportunity and I'm afraid if I don't take it ill be missing out, although there are still placement opportunities for me here in the UK.
Will you be an asset? Will you actually have the proficiency to teach and manage a classroom?
Where abouts in Spain?
Reply 3
Original post by jonathanemptage
Where abouts in Spain?

Barcelona or Madrid
Reply 4
Original post by DrSocSciences
Will you be an asset? Will you actually have the proficiency to teach and manage a classroom?

Ill be teaching them english and will be working as a teaching assistant
[QUOTE=raven48;76897726Barcelona or Madrid
I find the Spanish often try wit you as long as you at least try to speak they'll try to under stand you (except for one guy in Bilbo)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by raven48
Ill be teaching them english and will be working as a teaching assistant

You've already stated your role, but given your limited language skills, I'm questioning your ability to perform that role. I'd go out a month early to top up your language skills.
Yes! It will be a real assett to your personal experience and job opportunities. And the Spanish education system is very different to the UK so you can learn a teaching style in combination. Also going abroad can provide you with new contacts. Those teacher who want to befriend you or improve their English will speak it. (Learn a little Spanish to be polite) Ignore the others! Same every country!! Where in spain?
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok, so are you teaching science in English too? What age pupils are you teaching? No one else seems to be really thinking about the experience of your students, but only of the benefit to you.
I worked as a language assistant last year in a small town.

Have you had details about the school? There are many bilingual schools in Spain and generally language teaching is much better. Even with limited Spanish, you're usually told not to speak it in the classroom or even let on to the kids that you understand it. I know plenty of people with near on zero Spanish who have done it and loved it!

Quick Reply

Latest