Maths GCSE 9-1 Product Rules Question

Watch
2018GCSEVictim
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
There are 52 cards in a deck. Tom is going to give two cards to Jay. How many different pairs of cards could Jay get?

For this question the answer was (52 x 51)/2. I don't understand why the answer was divided by 2?

There are 52 cards in a deck. Peter is going to give one to Casper and one to Kelly. How many different ways of doing this are there?

The answer to this was 52x51. As someone else on the TSR pointed out, wouldn't you multiply the answer by 2?
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
52 options for first card. 51 for second.

52 x 51 are the number of pairs.

However, note the questions says "different".

Observe that A, B = B,A. So 52x51 will have these twice over hence divide by 2 (as you over counted).
2018GCSEVictim
Rep:
?
Oh yeah, I completely missed out how it said "different".
CapitalistAlgan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay so the first one you divide by two because for every two cards, there is one way of giving it. Let's call the first card A and the second B. Tom can give Jay the combination 'A and B'. He can also give the combination 'B and A'. However, these are the same combination of cards. This is true for every pair of cards you get, so you need to divide the whole value by two.

For the second one, however, 'A and B' is different to 'B and A' because there are two different people holding the cards. It is not a combination but rather two separate people taking cards at once. What I mean by this is that Casper can get A and Kelly can get B, but this is different to Casper getting B and Kelly getting A.
2018GCSEVictim
Rep:
?
(Original post by CapitalistAlgan)
Okay so the first one you divide by two because for every two cards, there is one way of giving it. Let's call the first card A and the second B. Tom can give Jay the combination 'A and B'. He can also give the combination 'B and A'. However, these are the same combination of cards. This is true for every pair of cards you get, so you need to divide the whole value by two.

For the second one, however, 'A and B' is different to 'B and A' because there are two different people holding the cards. It is not a combination but rather two separate people taking cards at once.
Thank you!
AddQ7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2018GCSEVictim

i r8 that name 8/8
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

Also, once you get to higher Maths:

You learn about combinations and permtuations. Learn about these - it'll increase your understanding.

In this case, the amount of permutations for picking 2 cards from 52 is simply 52!/(52-2)! = 2652. But in this case, permutations count a different order as a different combination e.g. if you had A, B - A,B will count as a different permutation to B,A. So you have 2652 ways of picking 2 cards from 52 but notice these 2 cards come in pair and if you reverse the order, you get a different permutation (but not a unique combination or pair).

The amount of combinations however is 52!/(52-2)!2! giving you the correct answer of 1326 ( = 51 x 52 / 2).

Permuations of picking Y things from X objects is X!/(X-Y)!.

Combinations of picking Y things from X objects is X/(X-Y)!Y!. The difference in the formula is because you would have divided by Y! because you are eliminating the same order combinations; if you have Y cards, the amount of ways organising them is Y! and since combinations consider a rearrangement of the set the same combination, you would have to divide by Y!.

2018GCSEVictim
Rep:
?
(Original post by AddQ7)
2018GCSEVictim

i r8 that name 8/8
I probably speak for the majority of those stuck in the 9-1 system
CapitalistAlgan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AddQ7)
2018GCSEVictim

i r8 that name 8/8
i agree LMAO amazing name tbh
2018GCSEVictim
Rep:
?
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
Spoiler:
Show

Also, once you get to higher Maths:

You learn about combinations and permtuations. Learn about these - it'll increase your understanding.

In this case, the amount of permutations for picking 2 cards from 52 is simply 52!/(52-2)! = 2652. But in this case, permutations count a different order as a different combination e.g. if you had A, B - A,B will count as a different permutation to B,A. So you have 2652 ways of picking 2 cards from 52 but notice these 2 cards come in pair and if you reverse the order, you get a different permutation (but not a unique combination or pair).

The amount of combinations however is 52!/(52-2)!2! giving you the correct answer of 1326 ( = 51 x 52 / 2).

Permuations of picking Y things from X objects is X!/(X-Y)!.

Combinations of picking Y things from X objects is X/(X-Y)!Y!. The difference in the formula is because you would have divided by Y! because you are eliminating the same order combinations; if you have Y cards, the amount of ways organising them is Y! and since combinations consider a rearrangement of the set the same combination, you would have to divide by Y!.

Going to need some time to wrap my head around that. Thanks for the heads up as I'm planning to take Maths in the future.
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 2018GCSEVictim)
Going to need some time to wrap my head around that. Thanks for the heads up as I'm planning to take Maths in the future.
No problem - I agree combinatorics is quite a tough subject in Maths. You do cover a little of it at A level but to appreciate the beautify of it, I'd recommend reading some Olympiad books on it in the future. Good luck in the GCSEs (bloody hate the 9-1 system too).
2018GCSEVictim
Rep:
?
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
No problem - I agree combinatorics is quite a tough subject in Maths. You do cover a little of it at A level but to appreciate the beautify of it, I'd recommend reading some Olympiad books on it in the future. Good luck in the GCSEs (bloody hate the 9-1 system too).
Thank you, and will do, hopefully I will still enjoy it after all the exam pressure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (426)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.43%

Watched Threads