The Student Room Group
Original post by Rosie posie cozy
I was 14 when I brought my first vibrator and I felt really gluity and embarrassed about doing it and exploring my sexuality, I didn't know who I liked and what sex I was into, and also how I felt about this hole thing. What age do u think it is ok/normal to buy a vibrator/masterbate

Can I just ask exactly how you managed to go into a shop and buy that?😂 you are too young to be buying stuff like that!!
Original post by Anonymous
Can I just ask exactly how you managed to go into a shop and buy that?😂 you are too young to be buying stuff like that!!

I brought it online. Then never used it
Babies and toddlers masturbate. They don't have the awareness that what they're doing is "sexual", but many of them do discover that touching their bits feels nice.

With the advent of puberty and your sex hormones going 'HELLO! SEX!!', it's again entirely normal. It's also a chance to explore via fantasy "who I liked and what sex I was into" without risks attached.

Some people use toys at least some of the time, some don't - both are normal. Most women who have a vibrator use it to stimulate the area around their clitoris rather than putting it in their vagina, but both are normal.
I had one bought for my 14th birthday, initially awkward after a few weeks couldn’t imagine not having one and I still use my fingers.
Reply 5
Im 14 I want a vibrator but can't get one ... I just use my fingers but it would be good to explore
yeh me too, it hard though because my card is owned by my mum so i’m not sure if i buy one it will come up on amazon as a vibrator so idk what to do.
well i mean we are kids and its called a student room for a reason and we come for your sapport
Original post by ebonyoyomire
yeh me too, it hard though because my card is owned by my mum so i’m not sure if i buy one it will come up on amazon as a vibrator so idk what to do.

Original post by Rosieann
Im 14 I want a vibrator but can't get one ... I just use my fingers but it would be good to explore

You can get sex toys delivered to your house in discrete packaging if you really really want them..but an electric toothbrush works (don't but the bristles in, just put the end on your clitoris/where you are most sensitive)
Original post by Anonymous

well i mean it is a student room for a reason
Original post by ilovedilldos
well i mean it is a student room for a reason

i mean......with a name like that you shouldn't really be on the student room, should you???
There is a lot of shame around female masterbation but it’s completely normal and healthy. My mum actually bought me a vibrator when I was 13 because she accidentally walked in on me using an electric toothbrush and lets just say it wasn’t the right way to do it. I’ve used it for 2 years now and it feels so much better than using my hands or, god forbid, a toothbrush. If your parents don’t understand, just get one off amazon or a toy shop that uses discreet packaging. And don’t feel like you are too young. Everyone discovers their sexuality at different ages.
I'm a 22 year old female and I started masturbating at the age of 13/14 however, sex is not something that was ever discussed in my family I hadn't even considered buying a vibrator until I was around 20. For years I was 'getting off' just by using my hands and then at 20 I thought to get one and believe me when I tell you I felt very guilty having something like that in my possession hidden away in my bedroom. I still live with my parents now but, I'm comfortable in my sexuality and don't actually care if were to find my stash of goodies, what are they going to do scold a 22 year old woman for having a healthy sex life... I think not!
I wouldn't buy off of amazon as some of their retailers could be selling dangerous counterfeit products, best going to the official website. Some materials can enhance the chance of cancer and infection!
(edited 2 years ago)
Random few questions,
I know nothing about vibrators.
I’m 15, 16 next may and I would really like to get a vibrator. I just really feel like I want to explore my body a bit, but the only time I’ve ever touched myself

A: I wasn’t doing it correctly,

B: I ended up with an infection and had to go to the doctors.

Is it safer using a vibrator than my hands?

Should I wait until I’m 16, so it sounds more reasonable, or should I just ask my mum now?.

And if it is safer to use a vibrator, do I need to get condoms to go with it?,

And is there any particular one that would be better suited to a person with zero sexual experience?.

And do you need to have had sex before to use it properly?.

Thank you for reading my very strange questions 🙏
Original post by fictionfan134
Random few questions,
I know nothing about vibrators.
I’m 15, 16 next may and I would really like to get a vibrator. I just really feel like I want to explore my body a bit, but the only time I’ve ever touched myself

A: I wasn’t doing it correctly,

B: I ended up with an infection and had to go to the doctors.

Is it safer using a vibrator than my hands?

Not especially, what matters is that everything is clean. Washing your hands before and after would be more important, and you need to clean sex toys too.

Look tips on masturbation here https://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodies_sexuality/how_to_have_your_first_orgasm_a_primer_for_cisgender_women and https://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodies/how_do_you_masturbate (which explicitly addresses preventing UTIs too!)

Should I wait until I’m 16, so it sounds more reasonable, or should I just ask my mum now?.

Up to you - I don't know what your relationship with your mum is like!
There's no age limit on buying sex toys.

And if it is safer to use a vibrator, do I need to get condoms to go with it?,

If you're not sharing sex toys there's no risk of STIs and you don't need to use a condom. It may help with cleanliness and preventing UTIs, but so would regularly cleaning the sex toy.

And is there any particular one that would be better suited to a person with zero sexual experience?.

No, you need to do your own research to see what you want. Probably look for something fairly simple without too many bells and whistles.

And do you need to have had sex before to use it properly?.

Thank you for reading my very strange questions 🙏

No.

This thread is really old so I'll close it now, but you can PM me or start a new thread if you want more advice :smile:

Latest