RekoRed_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just putting this on here because if this gets removed from Google reviews at least it is on here.

★★★★☆ – Real thing VS Online AD pictures
Almost exactly like advertised on promo material (minus the char been a basic wooden chair, NOT a swivel office chair like in the pictures on the tees uni website),

★★★★★ – Distance to the uni
Only across the road. You can’t get any closer than that really.

★★★★★ – Repair callouts
With just an email they can repair the issue in less than a few days can even you’re not there (they have master keys)

★★★★★ – Wardens and security
I know that a few years ago they replaced the keypad with a more NFC system to work with your TUSC card and this is a great decision.

Also had a problem were one of my flatmates that were absolutely wasted and was even using bottles to destroy his room more or less, called the wardens up and were VERY helpful at calming him down and their commitment is highly commendable.

★★★☆☆ – Washing system (that is Circuit Laundry systems)
Not bad although I would advise to NOT use the app, I was lucky to not start using that and to just do it through their online portal first, I know people that have faced situations where it hasn’t properly synced with the machine properly and issues have occurred, not me thankfully.

If anyone is going into accommodation for the first time with a place that has Circut be advised that it is £5 MINIMUM for top up

Just create a PayPal account, and do it online.

★★★★☆ – Internet (Speed)
Speed wise, all is good with an average of 90+ Mb/s… 90, NOT 100Mb/s TEESS UNI DO NOT ADVERTISE 100Mb/s IF YOU DO NOT GET 100 100Mb/s OR OVER. SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

(or at least put an “up to” like…. I don’t know ALL YOUR OTHER COMPETITORS DO!!! It’s just a quick edit in Photoshop, nothing that would kill you typing on any of your AD material at all.)

This will have a minimum interruption, maybe the odd outage at night. At least this is symmetrical, but most business internet plans are, beating *some* others but not by much…

I will give them a plus for at least having ethernet ports in the room. (That will be probably a lifesaver for some)

★☆☆☆☆ – ISP in general
Notice – Before I start this small rant on the ISP, I will inform to readers that this isn’t the uni that is at fault here, just the poor god-awful ISP that the uni has going into central halls.

They have probably the worse ISP (Internet Service Provider) in the entire country StudentCom.

Had a problem back in December where had a few problems that resulted in me being blocked for apparently ironically “Hacking PlayStation” I was presented with this:

bbm.studentcom.co.uk/cgi-bin/block?reason=101

Did the scans, got back on, less than 24 hours later the same thing happened, but it was a right struggle to get my device (my main computer) back online.

Something is broken in their logic here…
To be honest to train them better I was acting dumb, and basically, I was wanting a reason why (I reset my computer days before this happened and didn’t install an antivirus in time.) they couldn’t accept the only built-in windows antivirus, Windows Defender. This has been improved A LOT throughout the years to where it can be reasonably powerful, but their thick, dumb employees are living in 2001 where XP is released, and the poor antivirus was more understandably considered to many now as less powerful and more of a joke… Don’t you think that a multi-million-dollar company would consider putting more R&D into making a better antivirus? I defiantly would, and they have. They just can’t accept it.

They then threatened to pass this to the accommodations team to “fix” it for me but they didn’t need to get involved in the first place and wouldn’t or if they just did their jobs correctly.

So, then I had to go to explain that I wasn’t at fault and just gotten the software from downloading it in the library because I gave up the dumbness, but they were to thick to understand that I CAN’T DOWNLOAD A ANTI-VIRUS WITHOUT ANY INTERNET!!!!!

In the meantime, when I was doing that someone (don’t know if it was the accommodation team OR StudentCom that issued this, but THEY HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO DO SO!) When I got back to the room to install the antivirus and ready to send them the results, my phone was also blocked, along with my laptop off the network… FOR NO REASON.

In rage with either party went straight back up to uni’s accommodation team to demand an explanation and to find out who issued the block on those other devices. From the error, they said it’s apparently Sony that apparently went out of their way to issue a block on devices that have NOTHING WITH PLAYSTATION NETWORK. That chance, and that’s what the accommodation team at the University said to me.

Tried to give StudentCom a ring regarding this but to this day are still too damn stubborn to give me a reasonable explanation on the other two unnecessary blocks

IMPROVEMENTS THAT STUDENTCOM SHOULD MAKE:

- MAKE BETTER BLOCK SCREENS
I’m not poodle-corp and don’t even own a PlayStation, but apparently, I so get me a Guy Fawkes mask and call me anonymous!

- ACCEPT MORE ANIT-VIRUSES!
AVG isn’t your saving grace for everything. There were forcing me to use it even though the block notice states “…please run a FULL SYSTEM SCAN with your antivirus software, …” DOES NOT MENTION AVG AT ALL.

- TRAIN YOUR STAFF BETTER
Not even the “easy route” way of fixing this on Twitter helped me, they were STILL FORCING ME TO USE AVG.
And the people on the phone were just… terrible train them or fire them, they absolutely awful.

- STOP THE DNS CHECKING
We are in perfect RIGHT to change this, this is also legal to do but, yet they STILL block you from doing this. COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS

Rant over.

Hope you all have a better experience and feel free to reply with any questions you may have!
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Teesside University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for taking the time to write a review

It's been passed to our accommodation team for their reference.
RekoRed_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Teesside University)
Thanks for taking the time to write a review

It's been passed to our accommodation team for their reference.
There's is nothing wrong with Central as a place.

Just the god-awful ISP you have to choose to install there.
Why couldn't have just gone with an actual ISP like Sky or Virgin?
You can to that kind of stuff I mentioned previously and it wouldn't have even broken a sweat with them and I wouldn't have had the carry-on to begin with in the first place!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 11 Jan '20
  • Teesside University
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    Sat, 28 Mar '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads