The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Medicine Options UK vs USA ?

Hello,

So a bit of background; I’m a current UK citizen with 4 alevels (Maths,Chemistry,biology and history) and I’m planning to go to the US to study for 4 years at undergrad level. Then I’d like to pursue medicine. I’m wondering what options there would be for me? Could I stay in the US and go to med school there (or would it be really difficult as a non-us citizen despite having an American degree)? Or could I return to the U.K. to do postgraduate medicine or would I have to apply for undergrad as I don’t have a UK degree??
here is something you may want to consider http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/postgraduate/educationusa-advice/choosing/type-of-university/medicine
whilst its easier than medicine in the usa, post graduate medicine in the uk is very competitive to get into.

Your easiest and cheapest option is to do undergraduate medicine in the uk.
Reply 2
Original post by Yipyipee
here is something you may want to consider http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/postgraduate/educationusa-advice/choosing/type-of-university/medicine
whilst its easier than medicine in the usa, post graduate medicine in the uk is very competitive to get into.

Your easiest and cheapest option is to do undergraduate medicine in the uk.

Thank you v. much that link was really helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Volibear
Why are you going to the US? I suggest that if you are interested in this whole long route and then UK medicine after, email the med schools you're interested and see where you stand. This is probably even more true if you intend to apply to GEM programmes.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I’m not too fussed about the length of training as long as I get to do something I love every day. I’d rather do lots of interesting things now and take a longer route than do the quick route, graduate in 5 years and be stuck in the same job for the rest of my life.

I’ve tried to email a few unis like Oxbridge to see if I’d be accepted but they said they don’t consider individual cases and just provide you with a generic answer but I guess I could try a few more too. Thanks for your help :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
How is doing the fiver year undergrad course cheaper than doing the four year undergraduate course (GEM is an undergraduate course)? With the five year course they'd have to self-fund every year bar the final year. With the four year cpurse they'd only have to fund the the first ~£3500. Or do you mean they should just apply to study medicine as a school leaver?

Doing a five year undergrad course in the uk is just over £45,000, tuition alone, for all five years total. OP will also be entitled to a student loan, making the costs a lot easier to handle. This is in comparison to the $45,000+ she could be spending each each year for a medical degree in the states

GEM is not an undergraduate, its a postgraduate course which you can only do after an undergraduate degree in a science.

What i meant was it would be the OPs easiest option if she were to go into medicine as an undergraduate in regards to competition and finances. Of course this doesnt mean that she shouldnt do another degree first if she wants to, its definitely not impossible to get into post graduate medicine.
Oh I see. You mean in comparison to the course in the US.

Graduate entry medicine is an undergraduate course which can only be taken by graduates. 'Postgraduate' medicine can only be studied by qualified doctors.

aah i didnt know that, but i guess that makes sense :smile:
Reply 6
I'm glad you don't care about the length but can you afford the five year course as a second degree? If you can that's great. Also, will you still be considered as a home student by the time you get back? Aditionally, which degree will you be studying in the US?

Also, as a hint, just because you'll be 'stuck in the same job for the rest of your life', doesn't mean your life or career won't be interesting...

I probably can’t afford the 5 year degree that’s why I’d much rather to do a GEM course if I could get in. I’m studying bio sciences and chemistry in the US so deffo a science course. I’m not sure about whether I’d be a “Home” student or “international” when I get back which is the main reason I’m asking the question. And whether it would be possible to get onto the GEM course with a foreign degree or is undergrad 5years my only option??
And also, not all GEM programmes require you do have done a science based first degree.

about half do, so it would be advantageous to have one just so your choices arent limited

Latest

Trending

Trending