Hb1603xx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there

I am a bit confused. I asked a question on here the other day about years of support. The SFE advisor came back to me saying that entitlement is : length of the course + 1 year - previous study. The part that confused me is that she said previous study would also include self funded and partially completed years.

I have used up 2 years of support from attending two different unis and leaving both mid-way through.

So, I have 2 years funding remaining.

If I want to study at uni in the future on a 3 year course, 3 years - my 2 years of remaining funding = 1 year where I would need to fund myself.

So, I would need to pay for myself for the first year of a new course. If i do this, do I still have my 2 years of funding remaining? The reason I ask is, I was confused whether SFE would see this year that I fund myself as ‘another year of funding used up’ (as the SFE advisor said previous study includes self funded years?) meaning that I would only have 1 year of support remaining, meaning I would have to fund myself AGAIN for year 2 or year 3?

I hope this is not the case and that I would still have my 2 years left.

Please can you advise.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hb1603xx)
Hi there

I am a bit confused. I asked a question on here the other day about years of support. The SFE advisor came back to me saying that entitlement is : length of the course + 1 year - previous study. The part that confused me is that she said previous study would also include self funded and partially completed years.

I have used up 2 years of support from attending two different unis and leaving both mid-way through.

If I want to study at uni in the future on a 3 year course, 3 years - my 2 years of remaining funding = 1 year where I would need to fund myself.

So, I would need to pay for myself for the first year of a new course. If i do this, do I still have my 2 years of funding remaining? The reason I ask is, I was confused whether SFE would see this year that I fund myself as ‘another year of funding used up’ (as the SFE advisor said previous study includes self funded years?) meaning that I would only have 1 year of support remaining, meaning I would have to fund myself AGAIN for year 2 or year 3?

Please can you advise.
Right am going to ignore half of that because I think you overcomplicate and misunderstand. SFE were ofc correct.

You don't say if you did self fund any additional years than the two you say you had funding for.
You don't say why you left both those courses.

Funding is Degree length +1
If you used 2 years , then your funding status is degree length -1. Not all degrees are 3 years.
That would mean on a new degree course you would have to find fees for year 1, they still pay any maintenance and then SFE will fund the rest of your degree i.e years 2,3,4 etc.[yes your funding kicks in from then]

If you left either of your two courses due to medical reasons and have medical evidence to support this, then you can make a compelling personal reason claim to try and get funding reinstated and one or both of those years back. If satisfied SFE could fund year 1 as well.
Hb1603xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Right am going to ignore half of that because I think you overcomplicate and misunderstand. SFE were ofc correct.

You don't say if you did self fund any additional years than the two you say you had funding for.
You don't say why you left both those courses.

Funding is Degree length +1
If you used 2 years , then your funding status is degree length -1. Not all degrees are 3 years.
That would mean on a new degree course you would have to find fees for year 1, they still pay any maintenance and then SFE will fund the rest of your degree i.e years 2,3,4 etc.[yes your funding kicks in from then]

If you left either of your two courses due to medical reasons and have medical evidence to support this, then you can make a compelling personal reason claim to try and get funding reinstated and one or both of those years back. If satisfied SFE could fund year 1 as well.
I haven’t self funded before - I used 2 years of support from SFE. I am not going to disclose on here why I left the courses as it’s upsetting personal circumstances.

I am sorry you feel I over complicate and misunderstand - that’s why I am asking the question to clarify as I am very confused.

I just wanted to make sure that if I fund myself for year 1, I can get support for years 2 + 3. I didn’t want to get to my last year and SFE say that because I have self funded the first year of the new degree (which will be a 3 year course), I’ve then used another year of support meaning I have to pay for another year myself.

I thank you for taking the time to answer. Apologies for not being an expert - like I say, just trying to gage what I can/can’t do.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
I haven’t self funded before - I used 2 years of support from SFE. I am not going to disclose on here why I left the courses as it’s upsetting personal circumstances.

I am sorry you feel I over complicate and misunderstand - that’s why I am asking the question to clarify as I am very confused.

I just wanted to make sure that if I fund myself for year 1, I can get support for years 2 + 3. I didn’t want to get to my last year and SFE say that because I have self funded the first year of the new degree (which will be a 3 year course), I’ve then used another year of support meaning I have to pay for another year myself.

I thank you for taking the time to answer. Apologies for not being an expert - like I say, just trying to gage what I can/can’t do.
You misinterpret and I am trying to give you the correct answer.
If you dont provide the relevant details it is difficult to do so.

You seem to be confusing yourself again, so I will lay it out again.

If you have used sfe for two years and arent interested in improving your funding situation, then your sfe status moved from degree+ 1 to degee-1.

That means if you start a new degree, then

Year 1 You pay fees + they pay maintenance
Year 2 They pay fees and maintenance.
Year 3 They pay fees and maintenance

If you did a successful Compelling personal reasons claim then you could get them to take over fees in year 1.

Be sure you are ready for uni and that you have chosen the correct course to avoid the previous experience. If you have non academic issues, then make sure they are sorted out so you will be able to cope with the course. It is not unknown for people to bounce from one course to another, exhaust funding and leave with just a lot of debt.
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there

Please can you advise.

Hi Hb1603xx,

The number of years previous study that you have had will be taken into account when calculating your future support.

We allow you one additional year of support, should you need to repeat a year of study or start a different course.

On the information that you have provided, that you have already received two years of funding where you withdrew, this is how you will be assessed if you were to undertake a new three year course.

3years (the length of new course)+1 additional year =4 years
minus 2 years previous study
= 2 years full funding available.

What this means is year one, you will receive a means tested Maintenance Loan only and DSA if applicable.

Year two and three, you will receive full support including the Tuition Fee Loan.

You may wish us to take into account any mitigating circumstances, also known as Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) if any, that prevented you from completing any year in the past.

If you can provide evidence of this then the assessors will review and if accepted can award an additional year of support including the Tuition Fee.

Thanks Rona
Hb1603xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rona SFE)
Hi Hb1603xx,

The number of years previous study that you have had will be taken into account when calculating your future support.

We allow you one additional year of support, should you need to repeat a year of study or start a different course.

On the information that you have provided, that you have already received two years of funding where you withdrew, this is how you will be assessed if you were to undertake a new three year course.

3years (the length of new course)+1 additional year =4 years
minus 2 years previous study
= 2 years full funding available.

What this means is year one, you will receive a means tested Maintenance Loan only and DSA if applicable.

Year two and three, you will receive full support including the Tuition Fee Loan.

You may wish us to take into account any mitigating circumstances, also known as Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) if any, that prevented you from completing any year in the past.

If you can provide evidence of this then the assessors will review and if accepted can award an additional year of support including the Tuition Fee.

Thanks Rona
Thanks Rona. So I would apply to SFE in year 1 but only applying for a maintenance loan? Would you only tick that you’re applying for maintenance and not tick the tuition fee section?

Then, for years 2 and 3 I would be able to get both maintenance and tuition fee loan, so would tick both?

Is it because the maintenance loan isn’t subject to the same rules as tuition fee loan?

Thanks
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks Rona. So I would apply to SFE in year 1 but only applying for a maintenance loan? Would you only tick that you’re applying for maintenance and not tick the tuition fee section?

Then, for years 2 and 3 I would be able to get both maintenance and tuition fee loan, so would tick both?

Is it because the maintenance loan isn’t subject to the same rules as tuition fee loan?

Thanks

Hi Hb1603xx,

It doesnt matter if you indicate on the application that you are requesting the Tuition Fee, it will automatically be blocked due to your previous study.

You will still be eligible for the Maintenance Loan.

If you are sending evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons, then tick the box because if accepted by the assessors they can award an additional year of fee support.

Thanks Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed