NaBaSl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi...

I am going to be doing my GCSE English Speaking exam in April (Eduqas exam board) and I am stuck for topic ideas!

My teacher advised that we choose something that we can be passionate or feel strongly about (maybe something with differing viewpoints or persuasive?), and deliver it well to engage the audience throughout.

Does anyone have any topic ideas?
What have people done their speeches about?

Thank you!
rob15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The wage gap. I missed out on the perfect opportunity to piss off my feminist teacher and have regretted it ever since.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did this last year, as long as you speak English, and have some sort of coherent point, it is literally impossible to fail.

Do something that excites you, I personally did mine on the dangers of Political Correctness.
pearlbaxi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can't really tell you what to do, but choosing something around a subject you're really passionate about can help (as per your teacher's advice). I am a massive English nerd, so I did 'We should study more international books at GCSE'. But some ideas (if you want to go in depth or controversial) for other subjects could be
Maths: The old favourite, 'Is maths a language'
Science: Medical Ethics, Pathology, Animal testing (stuff like that, I'm not really a scientist )
History: 'The British Empire did more harm than good', or 'The Romans were better than the Greeks' or 'Mao was a more brutal leader than Stalin' (just to give you a wide date range)
Geography: 'The negative effects of tourism and how we can combat them' or 'Do the benefits of living by a volcano outweigh the potential disaster' (just to give you one human, one physical)
MFL: 'Why learning a second language should always be compulsory'
English: 'Is our media going through a similar phase as Victorian media at the height of the sensationalist period?' (a bit of an obscure one)
Of course you don't have to use any of these, just know that a key factor in your speech is to be well researched in the topic of your choosing, Science, History and English speeches may take more research than an opinionated speech. Choosing something controversial will definitely hep you feel passionate about the subject but you have to be careful to offer alternative views and seem accepting: don't just bash one group of people for their beliefs in order to persuade, your speech should be from your own merit, not the demeriting of other groups of society. But overall, have fun. Having fun with it will calm your nerves, at the end of the day, the examiners are looking for the way you write and speak, not for the obscurity of your topic, if you are speaking about something you enjoy, it will be easier to put in those persuasive techniques, not to mention you won't feel as nervous. One of my friends did a speech about how great Sweden was and got a distinction, another did one on Star Wars. Don't agonize over the topic, it takes valuable time away from writing.
Sorry for the novel.
Good luck with it, hope this helps x
NickMbugua
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
my teacher made us do speeches on what we hate, so i did a why i hate gossip so much speech
sharri.coco
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
why is he nhs broke, why its important to keep the nhs public, what the nhs stands for
sharri.coco
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol I'm doing mine of the fundamental reasons of why the nhs was established(I got the idea from An Inspector Calls)
Shibu the Doge
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did this last year. Got a Distention

If Humans wishes to have a future, then we must go to mars
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
Oooooh wow! Thank you so much for the ideas! Very helpful- I'll definitely consider them all.
ermiraakk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did mine on how society has brainwashed us to generalise certain ethnic groups to religion and how the news has segregated all of us from each other in society. To be fair it is a very very nice topic to talk about, and anyone can easily be passionate about the subject.
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
(Original post by ermiraakk)
I did mine on how society has brainwashed us to generalise certain ethnic groups to religion and how the news has segregated all of us from each other in society. To be fair it is a very very nice topic to talk about, and anyone can easily be passionate about the subject.
That sounds very interesting... thank you!
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
It's been a while... but what do you think about the topic:

''Are books becoming outdated?''

Is it good or not sophisticated enough...?

Thank youuu x
lsabella
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm interested in doing mine on a similar topic and I was wondering if you could tell me what some of your points were in your speech.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
87.32%
No (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads