The Student Room Group

English Language A level

can someone tell me specifically what will be on both Paper 1 and 2 for AQA English Language and the best way to revise the topics?
Paper 1 - Q1 - an article/ text from modern day - analyse for meanings and representations - AO1 (terminology etc.) 10 marks, AO3 (influence of context) 15 marks Q2 - an article/ text from between 1600 and modern day - analyse meanings and representations - same marking spread as Q1 Q3 - compare the meanings created across the two texts - A04 (comparison) 20 marks Q4/5 - Child Language Acquisition Question - pick one and only answer that (one question will be about written language and one will be about spoken - a source will be given with a question based on what the contents of the source is - AO1 (terminology etc.) 10 marks, AO2 (concepts and theories) 20 marksPaper 2 - Q1/2 - A choice of two questions, one based around language change and one based around language diversity - the question itself is structured for the most part as a 'to what extent do you agree question' about a particular statement - AO1 (terminology) 10 marks, AO2 (concepts and theories) 20 marks. Q3 - Two sources from different outlets about a particular part of discourse about language, this could be about a particular way in which language is changing or in relation to attitudes towards various differing sociolects - examine how the two texts present their views and compare the similarities and differences in what they say and how they say it - AO1 (terminology) 10 marks, AO3 (context) 15 marks, AO4 (comparison) 15 marks Q4 - Write your own piece (all the past papers have been opinion articles so far but it doesn't specifically say on the spec) about the concept in language discourse which was being described in Q3 and as a direct response to the sources in question - AO2 (concepts and theories) 20 marks, AO5 (creative writing and written expression) 10 marksTo revise Paper 1 Section A (Q1,2,3) the best way to revise it is just to find some articles (I suggest daily mail or the guardian or some other online variations to that effect) and analyse them to find what representations and creations of meaning you can find. Remember when you do Q2 that just talking about stuff like archaic language isnt a good idea and you should approach the older text as if it were written yesterday to see what meanings were created at the time - you can compare how the creation of meanings and particular lexical choices have changed over time in Q3.To revise Paper 1 Section B (Q4/5) I would suggest just going over all the theories you have learnt and making revision cards for each, try to know at least 3 really detailed concepts for nativism and behaviourism as well as constructivism and cognitivism, as well as definitely knowing the stages of spelling acquisition and spoken language development. To revise Paper 2 Section A (Q1/2) I would suggest going over theorists and concepts surrounding at least world englishes, gender, social groups, occupation and ethnicity and ensuring that you have a general understanding of how language in England has developed since the departure of the Romans (Here's a great video that goes over some of the key parts of that time. Remember this is an essay question so you should also practice your formal writing capabilities.To revise Paper 2 Q3 I would say you could for the most part combine this with revision of section A of the other papers- know how to compare and analyse sources and understand what the concept involved will be about.To revise Paper 2 Q4 you should basically practice opinion article writing - remember headlines and subheadlines and make sure you dont write a rant, you are still writing an informed article with lots of reference to research and theorists just not in the standard essay structure of your other answers in the rest of the examsSorry I wrote a lot more than I expected to here but this has also been useful for me to go over it in my head so that's good. Hope this is what you were looking for and good luck with your exams
Original post by chloe_grindey
Paper 1 - Q1 - an article/ text from modern day - analyse for meanings and representations - AO1 (terminology etc.) 10 marks, AO3 (influence of context) 15 marks Q2 - an article/ text from between 1600 and modern day - analyse meanings and representations - same marking spread as Q1 Q3 - compare the meanings created across the two texts - A04 (comparison) 20 marks Q4/5 - Child Language Acquisition Question - pick one and only answer that (one question will be about written language and one will be about spoken - a source will be given with a question based on what the contents of the source is - AO1 (terminology etc.) 10 marks, AO2 (concepts and theories) 20 marksPaper 2 - Q1/2 - A choice of two questions, one based around language change and one based around language diversity - the question itself is structured for the most part as a 'to what extent do you agree question' about a particular statement - AO1 (terminology) 10 marks, AO2 (concepts and theories) 20 marks. Q3 - Two sources from different outlets about a particular part of discourse about language, this could be about a particular way in which language is changing or in relation to attitudes towards various differing sociolects - examine how the two texts present their views and compare the similarities and differences in what they say and how they say it - AO1 (terminology) 10 marks, AO3 (context) 15 marks, AO4 (comparison) 15 marks Q4 - Write your own piece (all the past papers have been opinion articles so far but it doesn't specifically say on the spec) about the concept in language discourse which was being described in Q3 and as a direct response to the sources in question - AO2 (concepts and theories) 20 marks, AO5 (creative writing and written expression) 10 marksTo revise Paper 1 Section A (Q1,2,3) the best way to revise it is just to find some articles (I suggest daily mail or the guardian or some other online variations to that effect) and analyse them to find what representations and creations of meaning you can find. Remember when you do Q2 that just talking about stuff like archaic language isnt a good idea and you should approach the older text as if it were written yesterday to see what meanings were created at the time - you can compare how the creation of meanings and particular lexical choices have changed over time in Q3.To revise Paper 1 Section B (Q4/5) I would suggest just going over all the theories you have learnt and making revision cards for each, try to know at least 3 really detailed concepts for nativism and behaviourism as well as constructivism and cognitivism, as well as definitely knowing the stages of spelling acquisition and spoken language development. To revise Paper 2 Section A (Q1/2) I would suggest going over theorists and concepts surrounding at least world englishes, gender, social groups, occupation and ethnicity and ensuring that you have a general understanding of how language in England has developed since the departure of the Romans (Here's a great video that goes over some of the key parts of that time. Remember this is an essay question so you should also practice your formal writing capabilities.To revise Paper 2 Q3 I would say you could for the most part combine this with revision of section A of the other papers- know how to compare and analyse sources and understand what the concept involved will be about.To revise Paper 2 Q4 you should basically practice opinion article writing - remember headlines and subheadlines and make sure you dont write a rant, you are still writing an informed article with lots of reference to research and theorists just not in the standard essay structure of your other answers in the rest of the examsSorry I wrote a lot more than I expected to here but this has also been useful for me to go over it in my head so that's good. Hope this is what you were looking for and good luck with your exams

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest