57.8% in second year!!! is a 2.1 still in contention for third year?

Watch this thread
Bridgr
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, i achieved 57.8% in second year law. was pretty disappointed considering i got high 2.1 in every module apart from European Union law. I achieved 40 something which dragged my grade down massively as it was a 40 credit module. Very annoying as we are not even in the EU anymore. Is a 2.1 still on the cards for me? please help.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Moved to Law
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bridgr)
Hi, i achieved 57.8% in second year law. was pretty disappointed considering i got high 2.1 in every module apart from European Union law. I achieved 40 something which dragged my grade down massively as it was a 40 credit module. Very annoying as we are not even in the EU anymore. Is a 2.1 still on the cards for me? please help.
It depends on how your grade is calculated - what's the percentage value for your second and third years? Generally, third year is weighted higher; if your third year is worth 60% of your degree, then you'd need 62 in your third year to get a 2:1 (60) overall.
Bridgr
Rep:
this answer doesn't seem to be filled with much enthusiasm haha exams are about to start i need all the motivation i can get
Bridgr
Rep:
3rd year is worth 2/3rds. i am doing 6 modules instead of doing a diss. 3 modules are 100%, 3 i have already achieved 64 in the 33% essays.
Bridgr
Rep:
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
It depends on how your grade is calculated - what's the percentage value for your second and third years? Generally, third year is weighted higher; if your third year is worth 60% of your degree, then you'd need 62 in your third year to get a 2:1 (60) overall.
okay cheers 62 is achievable
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
How did you manage to get 40? Damn son!

Of course, more than possible to get 60% and usually a uni has a 2:1 by discretion, normally around the 58% range. I would recommend disso for an easy first.
Anonymous697989
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
okay cheers 62 is achievable
This isn't related to what you are asking
I am stuck between becoming a teacher or lawyer, however, I've had my eye on being a Lawyer as being a teacher doesn't really suit my personality(if you get me).
How is a Law degree?
What subjects do firms keep an eye out for?
I am excellent at Literature and History. What could I choose for a third A Level that firms would like?
Thanks for your help!
Bridgr
Rep:
(Original post by Notoriety)
How did you manage to get 40? Damn son!

Of course, more than possible to get 60% and usually a uni has a 2:1 by discretion, normally around the 58% range. I would recommend disso for an easy first.
Me and EU Law didn't connect very well lol
Bridgr
Rep:
Law degrees are extremely difficult. That is the honest truth. If you love law you will most likely hate it by 3rd year. It requires blood sweat and tears. Mainly tears in third year. Law is a very arrogant subject, this includes the university you attend. For example, my law school is top 10 in the UK meaning the work is a lot harder, more intense and you get less help. Not to mention, a lot of the students have family owned law firms, come from extremely rich backgrounds or are just generally d*ckheads. These are all things to worry about. In heinsight i wish i had done a easier degree at a worse uni and actually enjoyed my time at university. The degree is noble, but, given i have fallen drastically out of love with law it has become almost unbearable by third year. This is the honest truth.

I choice law because i was mis-led by my sixth form that you can't make a career out of things you actually enjoy. For me this is producing music. Again, heinsight allows you to see with 20/20 vision. With this in mind i would of choice to do music production and probably got a first. Instead im doing a degree which i know hate, and scrapping a 2.1 by the end of it.

With all being said, law degrees are serious. Please consider it carefully. Not just weather you are academically capable enough to complete it, but ask yourself whether or not you will still be able to love it by third year, which is something i didn't take seriously enough.

In terms of A-Levels i choice Law, Business and English Lit. I was told that these have a all round balance for firms. But the reality is as long as you are getting good A-levels, by the time you get your degree, the subjects are usually disregarded. There is a higher emphasis on the actual grade rather than the subject when applying to graduate related jobs. So i wouldn't worry to much about the subject, rather, choose A-levels that you will enjoy and achieve highly in. Its all about playing the game. My business and Law a-level was taught by the same person, whom loved to cut corners. he conditioned us to get an A, rather than actually teaching us the course. Now i have an A grade in three subjects, when i just learned exam technique. So this is also something to think about because the teacher of a subject can have a huge bearing on how well you achieve in the subject.

Finally, law is extremely extremely competitive. Something i couldn't truly grasp until now when applying to firms and trying to secure a TC. The odd are already against us. Without going to oxbridge and without achieving a first you have to have bring a-lot to the table which will persuade firms to choose you over oxbridge candidates. This can be done with your previous experience or current skills. But again, by no means is it easy. Think long and hard about it as you do not want to make a decision and commit yourself to a 3 year LLB Course when it could be the biggest mistake of your life.

Sorry, this advice turned into more of a personal rant. Nevertheless, i hope this was helpful and guided you to the right choice.

(Original post by Anonymous697989)
This isn't related to what you are asking
I am stuck between becoming a teacher or lawyer, however, I've had my eye on being a Lawyer as being a teacher doesn't really suit my personality(if you get me).
How is a Law degree?
What subjects do firms keep an eye out for?
I am excellent at Literature and History. What could I choose for a third A Level that firms would like?
Thanks for your help!
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Law degrees are extremely difficult. That is the honest truth. If you love law you will most likely hate it by 3rd year. It requires blood sweat and tears. Mainly tears in third year. Law is a very arrogant subject, this includes the university you attend. For example, my law school is top 10 in the UK meaning the work is a lot harder, more intense and you get less help.
Where do you study, if you don't mind me asking?

Me and EU Law didn't connect very well lol
Aye, wasn't particularly big fan of it myself. I would reiterate my earlier advice that a dissertation is an easy way to get a high grade and means you can spend more time on your taught modules.
Bridgr
Rep:
Where do you study, if you don't mind me asking?

Aye, wasn't particularly big fan of it myself. I would reiterate my earlier advice that a dissertation is an easy way to get a high grade and means you can spend more time on your taught modules.

Durham in 3rd Year
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Durham in 3rd Year
Ahh, probably too late to do the disso route then!

Not a bad school, I hear. Best of luck with it.
Bridgr
Rep:
Ahh, probably too late to do the disso route then!

Not a bad school, I hear. Best of luck with it.
aye think so. cheers mate. Hopefully i make it to the 2.1 threshold haha
Snewt88
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
so,how did you do? I hope you got your 2:1!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.15%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (55)
55.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads