The Student Room Group

Struggling to study at home

I have a strong work ethic when I am in school, I try to get everything done and take things seriously there.

I can't concentrate at all at home, either on weekends or holidays. My parents and sister are all home, so that is an unwanted distraction. They don't respect the fact that I have to study and I have been situated in a room where I can't work (between living room and kitchen). The TV is on in one side and my mum is in the kitchen on the other side, so there is always too much noise. I also feel sluggish and cabin-feverish in the house all day. No one takes me out anywhere.

I really want this holiday as an opportunity to get on top of everything and do as much work as possible. I better nip this in the bud now before it gets too late.

Any advice appreciated. :smile:
Wake up early every day. Go for a run or do some exercise to get you energetic or whatever. Then pack a bag with all your school stuff that you need to study and go to your nearest library. Spend a couple of hours there and plan out what you plan to get done. When you go home you'll feel satisfied. That's if you're allowed out to the library. Ik some parents can be a little strict
Reply 2
Original post by Joe2001
I have a strong work ethic when I am in school, I try to get everything done and take things seriously there.

I can't concentrate at all at home, either on weekends or holidays. My parents and sister are all home, so that is an unwanted distraction. They don't respect the fact that I have to study and I have been situated in a room where I can't work (between living room and kitchen). The TV is on in one side and my mum is in the kitchen on the other side, so there is always too much noise. I also feel sluggish and cabin-feverish in the house all day. No one takes me out anywhere.

I really want this holiday as an opportunity to get on top of everything and do as much work as possible. I better nip this in the bud now before it gets too late.

Any advice appreciated. :smile:

Book a hotel room
Original post by saraaaaaaaaa
Wake up early every day. Go for a run or do some exercise to get you energetic or whatever. Then pack a bag with all your school stuff that you need to study and go to your nearest library. Spend a couple of hours there and plan out what you plan to get done. When you go home you'll feel satisfied. That's if you're allowed out to the library. Ik some parents can be a little strict

My local Library creeps me out. Libraries as study spaces in general aren't my cup of tea. I don't really wish to get up early either.
Reply 4
Original post by Joe2001
My local Library creeps me out. Libraries as study spaces in general aren't my cup of tea. I don't really wish to get up early either.

Book a hotel room
Original post by caymen
Book a hotel room

I've read your other post. I see no reason to book a hotel room. What for? It's not as if I have an income.
Are you doing first year a level because same!!! If ur library creeps you out try a cafe or some other quiet place where you won't be bothered. Also, if you don't mind waking up early, try to get a couple of hours of studying done first thing in the morning, before anyone else wakes up. Early mornings are great for me because it's so quiet and there are very little distractions.
Good Luck!
I would recommend the library - some universities have a scheme whereby 6th form students are given free reference access to the university library at certain times of the year. For example, I live in the North East and was allowed to use the Newcastle University Library in my final year of 6th form - though personally I took advantage of books relevant to my course to do some wider reading, there was also plenty of desk space with plug sockets for me to revise. Public libraries are also good places to work, I've just mentioned this because university libraries often have more flexible opening times (luckily for me mine was 24hr). The only thing to consider is that university libraries may not let you in over the university exam period.

If libraries aren't for you, maybe you could meet up with a friend doing a few of the same subjects as you to revise together? Make sure you aren't just going to chat and neglect your work though.

These tips are useful for holidays/study leave etc, but don't forget that there will hopefully be some places at school for you to study when you get back. I was often in your position, so I found it helpful to stay after-school/come into school early, find a quiet spot and do all my studying there. That meant that I could get all my work done and fully relax when I got home, though I know this isn't always logistically possible for everyone to get home afterwards. If you're on study leave, remember no one's stopping you from coming in when you don't have exams just to study.

Quick Reply