username1422179
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I’m doing a chromatography topic in chemistry and was wondering how much detail I need to know, the spec simply states I need to be able to interperate the chromatograms but the book goes into detail about the process And steps about how paper and gas chromatography is carried out etc so do I need to know this info?
AmyNeedsToRevise
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is this for GCSE or A-Level Chemistry? And which exam board are you on?

At first glance, I would say that if it only says to interpret on the spec, you should only practice Rf value calcualtions for the exam. The other knowledge may well just be an introduction to the topic, but it's better to double check these things with your teacher if possible.
username1422179
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmyNeedsToRevise)
Is this for GCSE or A-Level Chemistry? And which exam board are you on?

At first glance, I would say that if it only says to interpret on the spec, you should only practice Rf value calcualtions for the exam. The other knowledge may well just be an introduction to the topic, but it's better to double check these things with your teacher if possible.
A level ocr
AmyNeedsToRevise
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it OCR A or B? I'm only asking because I did OCR B and, in that course, I was expected to know how gas chromatography works, what it's used for etc, but I know OCR A and B are quite different so if you see nothing about explaining or the pros and cons of chromatography, I would only keep a background knowledge of how it works in your head.
username1422179
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmyNeedsToRevise)
Is it OCR A or B? I'm only asking because I did OCR B and, in that course, I was expected to know how gas chromatography works, what it's used for etc, but I know OCR A and B are quite different so if you see nothing about explaining or the pros and cons of chromatography, I would only keep a background knowledge of how it works in your head.

OCR A, Yh I think ur right based on the spec the examiners mainly wants me to do analysis on retention values etc but I suppose it can't hurt to have a general understanding of how it works
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
11.76%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (29)
24.37%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (52)
43.7%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16.81%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.36%

Watched Threads