The Student Room Group

Got rejected, but trying again

So last year I applied to 5 universities and recently I have found out the results. 2 out of the 5 universities gave me an offer, but the one I really wanted to go to was not one of them. When I found out I kinda got emotional and accepted my offers, but having second thoughts I want to try to apply for a different course at this university I really want to go to. I already got feedback from them, in which they told me they did like my application and was given serious consideration, but due to their scoring system I simply didn't score high enough.

I got AABBC last year for my Highers and personally I think that since I only got a B in History, that screwed me over. The 2 As are in English and German. Additionally I am sitting Advanced Higher German this year along with Higher Modern Studies and now I want to study Politics with German at Dundee Uni. So I guess what I'm really asking for is what do you guys think of it and do you have any advice for me?
Reply 1
Why do you think it be the B? I study Politics at Dundee and there are no required subjects when applying
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
Why do you think it be the B? I study Politics at Dundee and there are no required subjects when applying

Well I know a few people who managed to get into Dundee for that course and despite the fact I got better overall grades than them ( i.e. AABCD) they all had an A in History, hence my thinking.
Reply 3
Original post by step hen
Well I know a few people who managed to get into Dundee for that course and despite the fact I got better overall grades than them ( i.e. AABCD) they all had an A in History, hence my thinking.

Don't compare your experiences to others. I would check with Dundee over it. If it is that, what is your plan?
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
Don't compare your experiences to others. I would check with Dundee over it. If it is that, what is your plan?

Well I could try to submit a late application or failing that, there is always Clearing.
Reply 5
Well I could try to submit a late application or failing that, there is always Clearing.

Scottish student? Little to no chance in clearing. All the places will most likely be gone. I worked Dundee clearing 2 years ago and that was the case that year and last year.
Reply 6
Original post by Airmed
Scottish student? Little to no chance in clearing. All the places will most likely be gone. I worked Dundee clearing 2 years ago and that was the case that year and last year.

So what would you recommend I do? How did you get to study politics?
Reply 7
So what would you recommend I do? How did you get to study politics?

I was an A level applicant and I was able to get 2nd year entry so my application was vastly different from yours. If you are really wanting to study at Dundee, you could take a gap year and reapply in September with final grades?
Reply 8
Original post by Airmed
I was an A level applicant and I was able to get 2nd year entry so my application was vastly different from yours. If you are really wanting to study at Dundee, you could take a gap year and reapply in September with final grades?

Ideally I would like to get in this year, but failing that I could try that. But since I'm already holding offers from another uni, I'm kinda unsure as to what to do now.
Reply 9
Ideally I would like to get in this year, but failing that I could try that. But since I'm already holding offers from another uni, I'm kinda unsure as to what to do now.

It's really down to you. Is going to Dundee that much of a dream to you that you're willing to risk your offers to attempt an application next year

You could spend your gap year in germany. Or working in politics. There’s loads of opportunities that will not only strengthen your application to Dundee but give you an advantage after your degree too.
Reply 11
Original post by Airmed

It will depend on the course.

I'm also a Scottish student OP and I did get in through clearing so it is worth trying.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Bio 7
It will depend on the course.

I'm also a Scottish student OP and I did get in through clearing so it is worth trying.

Dundee'a social sciences and humanities courses are quite popular and rarely come up in clearing. The OP can risk it but it's a bloody huge risk.
What is it about Dundee that you like so much?
Reply 14
Original post by showaeski
What is it about Dundee that you like so much?

Well the university is not too far from home for a start, it's much more affordable than the other universities I've applied to and when I visited the uni during the open days, the staff and students there were great. On top of that, I've got an emotional attachment to Dundee as well, so there's that. Additionally the courses seem great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending