INFO 3 Preliminary Material (Candidate Booklet) Discussion Watch

Mike Wong
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have already received and studied the preliminary material given by AQA which will be used during INFO 3 examination on 11th June. Here is my quick summary of the whole booklet:

- topics related to banking and online banking (PopUP Bank)
- mentioning of CIO (Chief Information Officer)
- the organisation does not have fixed premises (except their head office and a call centre), most of their departments (or "branches" as they've mentioned it in the booklet) run on temporary premises (their fixed costs are lower than other organisations)
- many of their customers make use of internet banking, since they don't have fixed premises and if their customers want to talk face to face, PopUp texts their customers the date and location of meeting (PopUp Session)
- text their customers every time a transaction is made, that's one way of preventing fraud
- they have social conscience, they believe they can achieve this by using technology to provide an efficient and low cost service
- they also aimed to reduce banking fraud, if they can reduce it, their operating costs can be reduced as well
- they have no past customers (customers who can't use internet banking) to worry about
- "no legacy systems to hold us back"
- also they mentioned SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle) and blockchain technology (??)
- it was said that blockchain technology is used in financial transactions because these transactions require traceability of payments across many different institutions
- "cuts costs, reduces data duplication and speeds up transactions"
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), now this is seriously something new and I haven't seen this in my coursebook, i would suggest looking deep into this because AQA is very likely to ask something about this
- they also do testing of their hot restart facility every two months (idk what is that but i'll find out)
- the last bit mentioning of Data Protection Act, i assume we should've know a lot about it back in AS level

what i think we should look into:
  • Chief Information Officer (CIO): what is their responsibility in a business organisation
  • Banking: electronic fund transfer (EFT), batch processing
  • Mobile working
  • Flexible working?
  • Internet Banking
  • Communication channels between businesses and customers
  • Verification of EFT (text messaging verification), prevention of overdrawn and prevention of fraud

• Ways of preventing banking fraud, credit card fraud, cheques fraud
  • Systems testing: test harness, data testing
  • System life cycle

• SDLC (System Development Life Cycle)

• Stages of SDLC
  • Blockchain Technology?

• GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) vs Data Protection Act 1998

• Difference?

• Disaster Recovery Program
Mike Wong
Rep:
?
Please don't hesitate to reply to this thread if you are also doing AQA ICT A-level like me!!
jrivenell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Got anymore on this topic? Just looking over the prelim myself... Seems fairly basic!
Mike Wong
Rep:
?
Bear in mind this preliminary material is only for Section A of INFO 3 paper, there's Section B too which totally has nothing to do with the material

"fairly basic" won't be the phrase I would use tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?