The Student Room Group

Watergate overshadowed all of Nixon's other achievements.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Trinculo
Which board?

AQA
Original post by Astana
AQA

Seriously now, no messing about.

The syllabus directly references Watergate, the aftermath of Watergate, the legacy of Nixon.

How can you discuss the importance (internally to the question) of Watergate against something like China or Vietnam when to assess the impact of those events, you would have to go outside the question or syllabus?

Why is his trip to China important, and is it more important than Watergate or GTFO Vietnam? This is the key to the question. But China and Vietnam are not referenced directly in the question, or Korea for that matter - which would be far more important in understanding why the China trip was a big deal. So are you saying that these can't be discussed either? Of course not.

So if you want to have an incredibly narrow and word-for-word reading of the question, it's unanswerable. You'd be trying to say why Watergate was more important than other events that aren't being discussed.
Reply 22
Seriously now, no messing about.

The syllabus directly references Watergate, the aftermath of Watergate, the legacy of Nixon.

How can you discuss the importance (internally to the question) of Watergate against something like China or Vietnam when to assess the impact of those events, you would have to go outside the question or syllabus?

Why is his trip to China important, and is it more important than Watergate or GTFO Vietnam? This is the key to the question. But China and Vietnam are not referenced directly in the question, or Korea for that matter - which would be far more important in understanding why the China trip was a big deal. So are you saying that these can't be discussed either? Of course not.

So if you want to have an incredibly narrow and word-for-word reading of the question, it's unanswerable. You'd be trying to say why Watergate was more important than other events that aren't being discussed.

That isn't what I said. I said the question only refers to Nixon, not to Clinton or Obama which is what you discussed for no reason.
Original post by Astana
That isn't what I said. I said the question only refers to Nixon, not to Clinton or Obama which is what you discussed for no reason.

Not for no reason. Obama - we can disagree on how to approach an essay, but I would certainly mention what defines a Presidency.

But Clinton is the direct legacy of Watergate. It says so in the syllabus, it says so in the texts and it says so in model answers.

The question only says "other achievements" it doesn't say China. It doesn't say Vietnam. How do you know what to talk about? You draw on what you know from the syllabus and wider.

Everything in the A-level scheme refers to understanding historical context. Clinton and every President after Nixon are historical context.
Reply 24
Not for no reason. Obama - we can disagree on how to approach an essay, but I would certainly mention what defines a Presidency.

But Clinton is the direct legacy of Watergate. It says so in the syllabus, it says so in the texts and it says so in model answers.

The question only says "other achievements" it doesn't say China. It doesn't say Vietnam. How do you know what to talk about? You draw on what you know from the syllabus and wider.

Everything in the A-level scheme refers to understanding historical context. Clinton and every President after Nixon are historical context.

Omg, go away
Original post by Astana
Omg, go away

Is that really the best you can do?

I'm really interested to know what it is that you think here - because you clearly think you're unequivocally correct.

I don't understand how you're going answer this OP question without offending your own parameters (don't go outside the question / syllabus).
Nixon's visit to China, Vietnamisation, SALT I, Paris Peace accords.
(I do Cold War in History A level) .
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27
Is that really the best you can do?

I'm really interested to know what it is that you think here - because you clearly think you're unequivocally correct.

I don't understand how you're going answer this OP question without offending your own parameters (don't go outside the question / syllabus).

I am the OP, and I've answered the question, so now leave
Original post by Astana
I am the OP, and I've answered the question, so now leave

I know you're the OP. I mean the OP question - as in the essay question.

I'd also add that on an open forum, you don't get to have dominion over who does or doesn't take part.

This is your A-level. Don't you think you might be interested in some perspective other than your own? Are you not the least bit interested in the possibility that you might have overlooked something? Because if you aren't, and you are so overwhelmingly confident, it begs the question why you asked for help in the first place.

A-level is about the easy marks and then the hard marks. The easy marks are the ones that get you a 5 or a 6. The hard ones are the ones that get you a 7 or an 8. The easy marks are the ones where you read the question and go "Watergate was more important because Americans think about America, and China wasn't that important and Vietnam was coming to an end anyways, and no one really cared about South America or the space programme". The hard marks are the ones where you ask why Watergate was important - and what evidence is there that an impeachment process overshadows a Presidency - was it just Nixon, or is there historical evidence that this is the case?

I would read the AQA scheme of assessment very closely and ask yourself if you maybe aren't being rather closed-minded.
I know you're the OP. I mean the OP question - as in the essay question.

I'd also add that on an open forum, you don't get to have dominion over who does or doesn't take part.

This is your A-level. Don't you think you might be interested in some perspective other than your own? Are you not the least bit interested in the possibility that you might have overlooked something? Because if you aren't, and you are so overwhelmingly confident, it begs the question why you asked for help in the first place.

A-level is about the easy marks and then the hard marks. The easy marks are the ones that get you a 5 or a 6. The hard ones are the ones that get you a 7 or an 8. The easy marks are the ones where you read the question and go "Watergate was more important because Americans think about America, and China wasn't that important and Vietnam was coming to an end anyways, and no one really cared about South America or the space programme". The hard marks are the ones where you ask why Watergate was important - and what evidence is there that an impeachment process overshadows a Presidency - was it just Nixon, or is there historical evidence that this is the case?

I would read the AQA scheme of assessment very closely and ask yourself if you maybe aren't being rather closed-minded.

Just because you wanna win internet arguments so bad because you're a typical right wing tool, pls stop spreading misinformation.

The hard marks here is relating to other significant things that Nixon did. Not talk about Obama's blackness. That's not history you ****ing degenerate.

Quick Reply

Latest