is psychology considered a science by universities?

Watch
uwotlol
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
is psychology considered a science by universities? especially Oxbrigde..
i want to confirm my A level choices and i want to study English Literature. most of the unis i've looked at they require science subjects ...
T.J.A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It will depend on the uni. It should say on the unis entry requirements page what subjects they consider to be science A levels if they say they want a science A level, if not you can always email the university and ask them.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes - most psychology degrees are BScs (the ones that are BAs probably aren't accredited). Most unis require at least one science - physics, biology, chemistry, geography or psychology I believe. That's because psychology is a science subject, you do biological psychology etc. which is a lot easier to understand with some science knowledge already.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uwotlol)
i want to confirm my A level choices and i want to study English Literature. most of the unis i've looked at they require science subjects ...
Psychology is not counted as science subject by Oxford, Cambridge and a lot of other top universities, science subjects are maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Some universities will count subjects like psychology and geography as science subjects for specific courses, either on their own or taken with one of the subjects above.

No university in the entire country, especially Oxford or Cambridge, requires an A-level in a science subject at all to study English literature. Where have you got this from?

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Yes - most psychology degrees are BScs (the ones that are BAs probably aren't accredited). Most unis require at least one science - physics, biology, chemistry, geography or psychology I believe. That's because psychology is a science subject, you do biological psychology etc. which is a lot easier to understand with some science knowledge already.
Psychology is not a science subject. Some universities will count it as one for psychology degrees but really it isn't. Oxford and Cambridge definitely don't count it as a science subject (like what the OP is asking).
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
Psychology is not a science subject. Some universities will count it as one for psychology degrees but really it isn't. Oxford and Cambridge definitely don't count it as a science subject (like what the OP is asking).
It's a really big debate as to whether psychology is a science.

I think I misunderstood the OP. I thought they meant they wanted to study English Lit at A-Level.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
It's a really big debate as to whether psychology is a science.

I think I misunderstood the OP. I thought they meant they wanted to study English Lit at A-Level.
Generally top universities, especially Oxford and Cambridge, are of the opinion that it isn't (I can find quotes if you want me to) and that the only science subjects are maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

You could be right about what the OP wants to study as their phrasing isn't very clear.
uwotlol
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
Generally top universities, especially Oxford and Cambridge, are of the opinion that it isn't (I can find quotes if you want me to) and that the only science subjects are maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

You could be right about what the OP wants to study as their phrasing isn't very clear.
So do i still need an A level in a Science subject to study English Lit?

"Candidates are expected to have English Literature, or English Language and Literature to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. A language or History can be helpful to students in completing this course, although they are not required for admission. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.''
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.''
All this means is if you have taken a science you need to pass the practical. You dont have to have a science
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

"Candidates are expected to have English Literature, or English Language and Literature to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. A language or History can be helpful to students in completing this course, although they are not required for admission. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.''
No you don't at all, you're massively misunderstanding the quote. It means if you have freely chosen to do a science subject you must pass the practical component, not that you actually have to take one (or that they want you to) in the first place. They're not saying they want a science subject, they're just saying if you happened to pick one you must have passed that bit of it. It's not required or preferred in any way to take a science subject.
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

It doesn't say that at all. It says IF you have taken a science subject, you have to have passed the practical
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
psychology is considered a science by oxford for biology

Biological Sciences - Acceptable subjects for A*

A-level students applying to study Biological Sciences at Oxford would be expected to achieve A*AA. The A* must be in one of the following subjects:
  • Applied Science
  • Astronomy
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Computing/Computer Science
  • Electronics
  • Engineering
  • Further Mathematics
  • Further Mathematics (Additional)
  • Geography
  • Geology
  • Human Biology
  • Marine Science
  • Mathematics (with either Statistics, Mechanics or Decision Mathematics)
  • Physics
  • Psychology
  • Pure Mathematics
  • Science
  • Statistics
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to study EngLit at Oxbridge (or anywhere) it doesn't matter how they consider Psychology. It's a perfectly acceptable A-level for EngLit. Simple.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.3%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (56)
12.84%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (167)
38.3%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.55%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (86)
19.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.28%

Watched Threads