The Student Room Group

Realistic chances with grades BBC for philosophy or politcs?

Hi all.

For some background, I've been to uni once already, doing the first semester of Politics and International Relations at Royal Holloway from September to December of last year. I had to drop out due to problems at home, but want to go to university again in 2019. My grades are BBC in Religious Studies, Government and Politics, and Media Studies respectively.

I know applications for 2019 entry don't start until September, but I'm doing some research now. What good unis could I realistically get into with these grades for Politics, Philosophy or both? I got into RHUL through clearing, but knew people there with lower grades than what I had who got in the normal way, where RHUL's typical offer is for ABB on UCAS. I also have friends in Aston who's offer is also ABB, who have and know people with much lower grades. I was also offered a place by Aston whilst going through the clearing process last year.

So simply put, what are the best unis I could realistically apply for to study politics and/or philosophy in 2019? And at the very least would it be worth applying through UCAS and then going through the clearing process again in August 2019 if it comes to that? Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Throwaway7749
Hi all.

For some background, I've been to uni once already, doing the first semester of Politics and International Relations at Royal Holloway from September to December of last year. I had to drop out due to problems at home, but want to go to university again in 2019. My grades are BBC in Religious Studies, Government and Politics, and Media Studies respectively.

I know applications for 2019 entry don't start until September, but I'm doing some research now. What good unis could I realistically get into with these grades for Politics, Philosophy or both? I got into RHUL through clearing, but knew people there with lower grades than what I had who got in the normal way, where RHUL's typical offer is for ABB on UCAS. I also have friends in Aston who's offer is also ABB, who have and know people with much lower grades. I was also offered a place by Aston whilst going through the clearing process last year.

So simply put, what are the best unis I could realistically apply for to study politics and/or philosophy in 2019? And at the very least would it be worth applying through UCAS and then going through the clearing process again in August 2019 if it comes to that? Thanks in advance :smile:

Your best bet is to do some research and work out where you can apply with those grades where you meet the entry requirements. Unis tend to only lower their grade requirements if there are spaces in clearing. You can then have a look in clearing and work out if you want to stick with any offers you hold or be released into clearing to look at other unis.
Original post by alleycat393
Your best bet is to do some research and work out where you can apply with those grades where you meet the entry requirements. Unis tend to only lower their grade requirements if there are spaces in clearing. You can then have a look in clearing and work out if you want to stick with any offers you hold or be released into clearing to look at other unis.

Would a positive reference from a tutor from my time at RHUL be worth anything on my application compared to a reference from a schoolteacher? I can also provide 2:1 Essays as well but I'm not sure if UCAS gives the option to include them.
Original post by Throwaway7749
Would a positive reference from a tutor from my time at RHUL be worth anything on my application compared to a reference from a schoolteacher? I can also provide 2:1 Essays as well but I'm not sure if UCAS gives the option to include them.

A more recent reference is always better. And no I wouldn’t send in essays unless asked for them.
Is there a particular reason you want to wait until September 2019 than try through clearing for September 2018?

It's fine if there is, but there's a chance you might be able to get to a "better" university through clearing than you would through the main scheme, so it might be worth a shot this year.

In general, Philosophy seems to crop up in clearing more often than politics, but you should be able to add some politics to a philosophy degree once you're there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending