The Student Room Group

Moving to London - accommodation help?

Hi guys,

I'm moving to London in two/three months and I'm starting to look for accommodation so I can plan viewings etc, however, I've only been to London a few times and I've never gone beyond central London.

I'm looking to live in Zone 2 or 3 as I'd like to be close to QMUL and central London anyway, but I have no clue what areas will suit me the most. Could any locals help me out?

-I don't want one of those high-rises, I much prefer a Victorian/Gregorian kinda flat, or similar at least. Think of Notting Hill, or even Chelsea, but of course cheaper.
-I'd like the area to be full of shops/cafes, or at least close to such areas.
-I'd like a homely feel. Greenery, prettiness, etc.

I guess I'm being difficult but that's me :innocent:

My budget is £1300 not including bills.

If you can recommend any areas, that would be great and would save me a lot of time as I'm currently on Page 20 out of 171 and getting no where. Thank you.

x
Reply 1
£1300 is... quite a budget indeed. I'm not sure how much most of TSR's user base is going to be able to help with this one.

Central London was always well out of my price range as a student, but I recall the Tottenham area being relatively cheap and with easy access to the centre.

If you're looking for scenery and greenery, Kingston is a lovely area, but with weaker links to the centre.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CJKay
£1300 is... quite a budget indeed. I'm not sure how much most of TSR's user base is going to be able to help with this one.

Central London was always well out of my price range as a student, but I recall the Tottenham area being relatively cheap and with easy access to the centre.

If you're looking for scenery and greenery, Kingston is a lovely area, but with weaker links to the centre.

Are you saying £1300 is too high or low hahah?

I’ll definitely look at those two, thank you so much. I’m quite a fan of Camden but I’m not sure if it’ll be a good area to live in, it seems very busy and loud. But that kinda budget and style is right up my alley.
Reply 3
Original post by euphrosyne
Are you saying £1300 is too high or low hahah?

I’ll definitely look at those two, thank you so much. I’m quite a fan of Camden but I’m not sure if it’ll be a good area to live in, it seems very busy and loud. But that kinda budget and style is right up my alley.

£1300 is high! As a reference point, my two bed flat in Cambridge, which I found to be about as expensive as the middle to outer zones of London, totals £850 excluding council tax. My shared houses in New Malden (near Kingston/Tottenham) were about £650 including bills.

I've never been a personal fan of Camden, but I can see the appeal. I don't know what pricing is like, unfortunately, but it has solid links to the centre, though it's a longer trip in absolute terms.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CJKay
£1300 is high! As a reference point, my two bed flat in Cambridge, which I found to be about as expensive as the middle to outer zones of London, totals £850 excluding council tax. My shared houses in New Malden (near Kingston/Tottenham) were about £650 including bills.

I've never been a personal fan of Camden, but I can see the appeal. I don't know what pricing is like, unfortunately, but it has solid links to the centre, though it's a longer trip in absolute terms.

Oh, oops :innocent:

I mean ideally, I'd like to spend no more than £800 on rent, and say £1000 in total including bills (no council tax because = student). However, since I'm so picky, I'm finding it so hard to find a flat that looks tidy/decent/clean/spacious/not falling apart with that budget. I don't really want to live in a shoe box.

I would share, but due to sharing in the past, I've realised that I'm just too much of a neat freak so that's out of the question. I just want somewhere nice to live :lol: it's reaaaaaaally hard though.
Reply 5
Oh, oops :innocent:

I mean ideally, I'd like to spend no more than £800 on rent, and say £1000 in total including bills (no council tax because = student). However, since I'm so picky, I'm finding it so hard to find a flat that looks tidy/decent/clean/spacious/not falling apart with that budget. I don't really want to live in a shoe box.

I've never had to look for flats in London so, to be honest, I don't really know what expectations you can realistically make. I had some really lovely house shares for the prices I paid though, so I can only assume there are some flats out there that fit your expectations, given your substantially larger budget.

I would share, but due to sharing in the past, I've realised that I'm just too much of a neat freak so that's out of the question. I just want somewhere nice to live :lol: it's reaaaaaaally hard though.

Aha, where do I find a woman like you!? :wink: On a serious note, I totally understand the sentiment regarding house sharing, but I question whether your demands are realistic given the difficulty you're having.

Have you perhaps looked into studio flats?
Reply 6
Original post by CJKay
I've never had to look for flats in London so, to be honest, I don't really know what expectations you can realistically make. I had some really lovely house shares for the prices I paid though, so I can only assume there are some flats out there that fit your expectations, given your substantially larger budget.

Aha, where do I find a woman like you!? :wink: On a serious note, I totally understand the sentiment regarding house sharing, but I question whether your demands are realistic given the difficulty you're having.

Have you perhaps looked into studio flats?

I think my budget is probably too low to match my requirements. I'm happy to live as far as Zone 4, it's quite shocking I can't find anything decent for £1300 per month.

I'm not a fan of studio flats, I'd get too claustrophobic with it. Plus I'd like to be able to cook my meals without my bed being right next to me :lol:
Reply 7
I think my budget is probably too low to match my requirements. I'm happy to live as far as Zone 4, it's quite shocking I can't find anything decent for £1300 per month.

I'm not a fan of studio flats, I'd get too claustrophobic with it. Plus I'd like to be able to cook my meals without my bed being right next to me :lol:

Heh, fair enough. Sorry I can't help more then!
The uni may be able to advise you?
If you want the easiest link to QMUL without actually being on campus; start from Liverpool str station and branch out (away from zone 1) from the overground trains available from there - towards Chingford for example, have a browse.

There's so many options using Liverpool as your centre that fit your price range as well as being able to get to QM easily
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
If you want the easiest link to QMUL without actually being on campus; start from Liverpool str station and branch out (away from zone 1) from the overground trains available from there - towards Chingford for example, have a browse.

There's so many options using Liverpool as your centre that fit your price range as well as being able to get to QM easily

Thats' fabulous, thank you so much! Just what I was looking for!

Original post by Volibear
Look on spareroom.co.uk

I've looked at many property websites - just not sure as to which area I should be looking at.

Original post by Tiger Rag
The uni may be able to advise you?

I have emailed them asking, but they're being annoyingly slow!
Hi guys,

I'm moving to London in two/three months and I'm starting to look for accommodation so I can plan viewings etc, however, I've only been to London a few times and I've never gone beyond central London.

I'm looking to live in Zone 2 or 3 as I'd like to be close to QMUL and central London anyway, but I have no clue what areas will suit me the most. Could any locals help me out?

-I don't want one of those high-rises, I much prefer a Victorian/Gregorian kinda flat, or similar at least. Think of Notting Hill, or even Chelsea, but of course cheaper.
-I'd like the area to be full of shops/cafes, or at least close to such areas.
-I'd like a homely feel. Greenery, prettiness, etc.

I guess I'm being difficult but that's me :innocent:

My budget is £1300 not including bills.

If you can recommend any areas, that would be great and would save me a lot of time as I'm currently on Page 20 out of 171 and getting no where. Thank you.

x

Try to become a live in girlfriend of someone so you dont have to pay rent maybe x
Original post by Dignifieddeath
Try to become a live in girlfriend of someone so you dont have to pay rent maybe x

If only that were an option x

Hey! Is anyone still looking to move into halls? I'm looking for someone to take over my large single room in Nutford House (Intercollegiate) from around May 20th (flexible on this) - June 23rd (when the contract ends). It's two steps from Marble Arch and Edgware Road, a really pleasant area with great transport links. It's £187 a week, catered non-ensuite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending