The Student Room Group

Choices!

Hi Has anyone got any good ideas for a level choices/ degrees / jobs. Because idk what I want to do

If it helps I'm taking maths English Lang and lit, french, Spanish, bio, physics, chemistry, geography, history, computer science and further maths for GCSE

I would like to go to a really good uni (don't mind going abroad either). Also do they offer scholarships b cause they are quite expensive!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jpeg.idek
Hi Has anyone got any good ideas for a level choices/ degrees / jobs. Because idk what I want to do

If it helps I'm taking maths English Lang and lit, french, Spanish, bio, physics, chemistry, geography, history, computer science and further maths for GCSE

I would like to go to a really good uni (don't mind going abroad either). Also do they offer scholarships b cause they are quite expensive!

If you're good at it, take maths - it'll keep your options open.

Studying a language at A-level might not be a bad about either - I wish I had the ability to.

It's time to start doing research into what subject(s) you want to study. Read some books, listen to lectures online, find out from students what it's like to study x course.

A numerical degree will get you into a lot of general places. Exceptions include... well, You'd already know if you wanted to do medicine. Stuff like law, if you change your mind you can do postgraduate degrees. Teaching, same. Dentistry, again you would know.. accounting...

Universities do offer scholarships - you can also take out loans from student finance to cover tuition fees and some living expenses.

While you're at it, consider studying viticulture and oenology - I'm sure it's fun.
Reply 2
Original post by jpeg.idek

Looking at your subjects, it looks like you are good at maths so I would consider taking A-Level Maths. It is a tough A-Level, but then all subjects are, and it is probably one of the most respected which opens the most doors.

It really depends on the subjects which you enjoy and can succeed in. For instance, don't take Spanish if you hate it. Generally, the more you enjoy a subject, the more motivated you will be to work hard for it.

If you're unsure what degree you want to study then I'd recommend at least two facilitating subjects: English Literature, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Languages, History, Geography. If you want to keep the sciences route you will want to take at least 2 science based subjects. Hopefully, once you determine what subjects you enjoy most these will naturally progress on to a degree. Two science A-Levels will keep most science routes open to you, and a humanity will generally allow you to access those subjects at A-Level, some will ask for 2 humanities subjects but less so than sciences.

Hope this has helped.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending