The Student Room Group

What do you think happens after we die?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
What is depressing about having a lovely non disturbed dreamless sleep
If there is an afterlife i will be seriously pissed off

lol

idk life isnt fair for starving kids in africa so they should be given another chance

i obviously dont want a hell or anything - i'd rather not have an afterlife in that case
Well i guess im screwed then
Probably nothing, but if there is an afterlife then it definitely isn’t one of the Abrahamic religions’.

As for what it feels like, I’ve always felt that dying peacefully feels similar to falling asleep.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think it does makes sense that when some people are dying their instincts might get the better of their experience and make or construct a 'survival' interpretation (seeing a light etc, meeting dead relatives etc.). Even non-religious people have a survival instinct and aren't necessarily in control of how they interpret what is happening to them when their brain is dying.
Reply 24

Since the world exists to me through my senses, being dead with no afterlife doesn't sit well at all in my mind. I don't really have a fear of death but thinking about not existing is strange and I don't like it.

I've heard the common line "but you were dead for 1000s of years before you were alive". But now I've experienced life it's not as simple as this. Well my brain doesn't make it simple. Believing in an afterlife would help but unfortunately I can't.
To add to what I said, I believe that Jesus, Buddha etc weren't ''Gods/Son of God'' but were instead enlightened beings.

Jesus went away for however many years in the Bible (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong). A lot of people believe he went to the mountains where he learned about life from the monks living there through meditation and other things. He then came back and spread his knowledge. Jesus said ''The Kingdom of God is within you'' which states that he realised that we are all God and to find the answer to life we need only to look inside ourselves which meditation allows us to do.

Buddha on the other hand went even further and realised that we are nothing. If you think about it it makes sense. Buddha wasn't a God, just and enlightened being.

I like to take teachings from religious texts that agree with my views and that I think are morally acceptable and try to apply them to daily life. Buddha has a lot of these.
Maybe our soul gets placed in a new human being..
Afterlife imo. The moment u wake up in the grave for questioning I'll be terrified to know it was all real. Every man for himself.
I’m not religious or anything but I like to think there is something after death
The world goes on...
Original post by JoshDarnIt
To add to what I said, I believe that Jesus, Buddha etc weren't ''Gods/Son of God'' but were instead enlightened beings.

Jesus went away for however many years in the Bible (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong). A lot of people believe he went to the mountains where he learned about life from the monks living there through meditation and other things. He then came back and spread his knowledge. Jesus said ''The Kingdom of God is within you'' which states that he realised that we are all God and to find the answer to life we need only to look inside ourselves which meditation allows us to do.

Buddha on the other hand went even further and realised that we are nothing. If you think about it it makes sense. Buddha wasn't a God, just and enlightened being.

I like to take teachings from religious texts that agree with my views and that I think are morally acceptable and try to apply them to daily life. Buddha has a lot of these.

You sound like a pantheist.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You sound like a pantheist.

I guess you could call it that aha. I prefer to use the term spiritual though because I have a lot of different beliefs that stray away from some pantheist beliefs.
Thanks man :smile: Death should not be feared. Its just a transferring of our consciousness into the spiritual realms. We are energy. As Einstein said ''Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another''.
Reply 33

Yep. I really hate the thought of having to exist for eternity. If there is nothing when we die, which seems the most logical, then what is so bad about that?
Nothing, you just stop as your body stops.

It all depends on if you believe in having a “soul”, some kind of immortal conscious essence. If I could choose i’d like reincarnation to exist, start over fresh as someone or something else.
But nah I think we’re just our bodies, when the brain stops our conscious stops and no ghosts or souls float out and into the next level of the game.
Kinda irrelevant.

Magicians send Jinns (unseen world) to possess others. During treatment, the treatment people give the Jinn a chance to leave the body by speaking to them (they also reply) but when it refuses, they recite the Quran which harms the Jinn and you can hear the shouting and the struggle by the Jinn. That's the unseen world which Allah has told us about- its not made up cos it is quite common amongst many people, u can check out videos on Youtube also. So surely for those who don't believe about the after-life, this would be quite handy for them cos it evident of what Allah has said about the unseen world and its real, and so is the after-life.

But I seriously doubt me being born is merely by chance.
Yes as nutrients for the world. (If I am buried, since we decompose, life cycle and all that.)
Original post by ReadySalted28
Kinda irrelevant.

Magicians send Jinns (unseen world) to possess others. During treatment, the treatment people give the Jinn a chance to leave the body by speaking to them (they also reply) but when it refuses, they recite the Quran which harms the Jinn and you can hear the shouting and the struggle by the Jinn. That's the unseen world which Allah has told us about- its not made up cos it is quite common amongst many people, u can check out videos on Youtube also. So surely for those who don't believe about the after-life, this would be quite handy for them cos it evident of what Allah has said about the unseen world and its real, and so is the after-life.

But I seriously doubt me being born is merely by chance.

Those so-called possessions are fake and there is no evidence for their legitimacy. There are a million more plausible reasons: they’re faking, suffering from a genuine medical condition that is attributed to spirits, genuinely convince themselves they’re possessed and enter a kind of religious fervour etc. etc.

Rather convenient that it’s only ever the people who believe in these things that are “possessed” by them. Why don’t they possess an atheist for a change?
(edited 6 years ago)
We rot.
Reply 39
I doubt it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending