mc.docx

Answer for both are D:

Can someone please explain them!
lionike123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As it is being cooled La Chatliers Principle states that the system would oppose change. Cooling it to 250 means decreasing the temperature and this means the system will oppose the change and move in the forward direction meaning it would go darker. By Compressing it it means they are increasing the pressure. By increasing the pressure, the position of the equilibrium would favour the side with fewer moles which is the I2 therefore it goes purple.
Mb.68-72
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by lionike123)
As it is being cooled La Chatliers Principle states that the system would oppose change. Cooling it to 250 means decreasing the temperature and this means the system will oppose the change and move in the forward direction meaning it would go darker. By Compressing it it means they are increasing the pressure. By increasing the pressure, the position of the equilibrium would favour the side with fewer moles which is the I2 therefore it goes purple.
I understand part a), thanks!

In the reaction, don't both sides have the same number number of gas molecules, so where does the equilibrium shift?
Rauhan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ok so for the first one in the question it says that the equilibrium mixture was allowed to reach 300 degrees and because its a dynamic equilibrium so when its cooled the reaction will favour the backward direction, therefore, making more of the reactants and u will see a purple solution cuz iodine has a purple colour and hydrogen is colourless
lionike123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Look clearly the HI has 2 and the H2 AND I2 has 1 each. It cant go colorless to colorless so it has to go from colorless to purple.
Mb.68-72
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Look clearly the HI has 2 and the H2 AND I2 has 1 each. It cant go colorless to colorless so it has to go from colorless to purple.
Thanks!

Can you please just explain this last one?

i really appreciate the help!

mc.docx
HydraFly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mark jam)

In the reaction, don't both sides have the same number number of gas molecules, so where does the equilibrium shift?
A)
There is no pressure effect in this case; I am assuming you have covered Kc. A simple idea is that the exothermic reaction is favoured, hence forward reaction is prefered (eq. shifts to right).

B)
Hm... Are you sure?
Code:
Effect of Pressure- If pressure  is increased then equilibrium will shift in the direction where volume is decreased.
When number of moles on either side of a equation is the same, then there is no effect of change of pressure on equilibrium

That is specific to that reaction.... If anything, gas laws suggest an increase in temperature, so in fact it would shift to the left... Hm....
HydraFly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At equilibrium it wouldn't be colourless... It still has I2 present...
HydraFly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh wait... Could it be because all the I2 molecules are closer together for a moment that it physically appears darker?? The question does say 'immediately'
flux capacitor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mark jam)

Yes I think you are right - therefor from a pressure point of view it has no effect on the equilibrium position.

However increasing the pressure brings particles closer together which results in increasing the concentration of all particles - but this also has no effect on equilibrium position! One might say 'A' could be the answer 'no visible changed' as the equilibrium position is not affected, but it would be wrong:

The purple molecules are concentrated together making the colour more intense.

A horrible trick question that has nothing to do with equilibrium and more of a physical thing that I bet would be no where to found on the syllabus.

I'm not 100% sure of the above, hopefully someone can confirm. I think Hydrafly said something similar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (56)
13.93%
Virtual campus tours/open days (93)
23.13%
Live streaming events (38)
9.45%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (39)
9.7%
A uni comparison tool (90)
22.39%
An in-person event when available (86)
21.39%