The Student Room Group

Debating to which uni to go

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I am debating between which Uni to go to for next year to do the Part 1.
I am between Cardiff, Bath and Nottingham Uni. All seem interesting. All differ from each other a bit. Bath is one that I find quite appealing. However, Cardiff is also very good. I didn't have a chance to go to Nottingham which is why I don't know about it as much as the other two. There is no placement year in Nottingham which is a bit of a downside.
I do like both the arts and the maths, its important for me to be able to design something that will be able to be built.

What are all of your opinions about these three options?
Bath. You seem to find it appealing, it's important to you to be able to design something that could realistically be built (which you'll get at Bath more than any other architecture school), and it's widely considered one of the best courses in the country (consistently topping league tables and has an excellent reputation in the architectural community). I'm sure you'll have heard that Bath is pretty much the most mathsy course there is, which is good as you like that aspect, but don't let that make you think it disregards the arts side - it really doesn't. If you've seen the work coming out of Bath you'll know that it's no less creative and inspired than that of any other top school, yet it's also realistic and practical. Imo Bath definitely sounds like the best option for you as it seems like it will suit your interests and is a very prestigious course. One other thing on Bath - having spoken to some Part 2 students who did their Part 1 there, they really appreciated the solid grounding in architectural design that Bath gave them (for example, learning proper detailing where other schools don't teach this until Part 2), and how this has enhanced their Part 2 work and made going into practice a lot easier for their placement year.

Cardiff and Nottingham are of course excellent choices too, and personally I find both of them to have a slight edge on Bath just in terms of living (because Nottingham's campus is very large and green compared to Bath's being quite built up, and Cardiff's feels more a part of the city than the other two). But ultimately it's the course that should be the deciding factor (Bath's undoubtedly being the superior of the three), and you've already said that you find Bath appealing, presumably in terms of its campus and daily life there as well. Just to also note, I have visited all three of these unis and even though I felt Cardiff and Nottingham had the edge living-wise, I ended up not applying to either, but did apply to Bath because of how good it is for architecture.

Hope that helps :smile:
Thats a lot of useful information, thanks. Bath does seem like a good option, indeed. What Unis have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by FaberCastell
Thats a lot of useful information, thanks. Bath does seem like a good option, indeed. What Unis have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?

No problem! It certainly does, but make sure you fully look into each uni and course to be sure that Bath is where you want to go.

I applied to (and have been very lucky to receive offers from) Cambridge, Bath, Edinburgh, Glasgow School of Art, and Strathclyde. Going to be firming Cambridge and insuring Edinburgh. What are the other two places you applied to, assuming you used all five options?
Original post by Amanzhol
No problem! It certainly does, but make sure you fully look into each uni and course to be sure that Bath is where you want to go.

I applied to (and have been very lucky to receive offers from) Cambridge, Bath, Edinburgh, Glasgow School of Art, and Strathclyde. Going to be firming Cambridge and insuring Edinburgh. What are the other two places you applied to, assuming you used all five options?

Interesting choices. I applied to Cambridge and Sheffield for the other two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending