What would you think if you saw someone with self harm scars? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
If you saw someone in public with self harm scars, what would run through your mind?
If you saw
-a friend
- best friend
-family member
-stranger
-ect
Would would you think? Would you say anything? How would you react?
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you saw someone in public with self harm scars, what would run through your mind?
If you saw
-a friend
- best friend
-family member
-stranger
-ect
For strangers you should just leave them alone, it's none of your business and they don't want you sticking your nose in and raking things up. For family and friends it depends on what your relationship is like with them. You should say something like "where did you get that from?" without jumping to conclusions.
Darkiraa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Honestly just leave it, unless you see bad and recent cuts then they are probably not in danger - a lot of people have older scars that could be even from years ago so they probably dont want it brought up
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you saw
-a friend
- best friend
-family member
-stranger
-ect
I would think they must have been though some tough times and leave it at that.
If they were somebody I was close with, especially if they seemed recent I might give a quick mention that I'm there for them if they need anything or something like that, but I would try my best not to make a big thing of it or make assumptions or judgements.

I've had enough experience and heard enough things to know that there can be so many different reasons behind things and there's no sense assuming things or prying into stuff.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'd wonder why I'm watching someone having an ECT session. :confused:

Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
Generally I couldn't care less but it does raise questions in my mind about the sanity / stability of that person.
pottah
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If there’s anyone wondering what to do if they do see them, definitely DON’T make a big fuss in front of everyone/loudly point them out. It’ll only embarrass them. Maybe quietly say something supportive, or text them a nice message later
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It would make me feel sorry for their sorrow. Definitely never brought it up when I noticed this on some people.
TheGirlFelonXxXx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I dunno, like questions would be going through my head regarding their safety, health or how they are physcially and mentally. But I would feel helpless as in I cannot help them or even try to if it was a stranger but the scars would never scare me or put me off in getting to know them and trying to help
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
i wouldn't really say anything if i didn't know them personally
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I wouldn't say or do anything, but I'd be thinking that I'm glad they're scars and not fresh injuries, because that means they got better.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
See them a fair bit, to be honest.

If they were unhealed, non-strangers, I would go out of my way to ask how they're doing and force an answer (without directly saying 'look you have several cuts'). If they're healed, then it's their business and it's not pressing. I don't think it would help their recovery to have someone bring up a stress-filled portion of their life, anyway. Sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut.

Would I judge? Well, if it were a partner, then it is quite the commitment you're undertaking. I would ask why they did it and how long ago it was, and honestly it would deter me. Friends ... well, they can do what they like. We all have our demons, as it were. Clients -- well, it's not my place (we deal with them faster if they have MH issues, mind).
Astana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you saw
-a friend
- best friend
-family member
-stranger
-ect
I may be afraid that they would attack me. Things running through my mind would be stay away, walk a couple miles the other way or maybe the police can help me. I wouldn't say anything, I'd probably run away
pottah
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Astana)
I may be afraid that they would attack me. Things running through my mind would be stay away, walk a couple miles the other way or maybe the police can help me. I wouldn't say anything, I'd probably run away
Just FYI, people with mental illnesses are actually far, far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than the perpetrators of it.
Astana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by pottah)
Just FYI, people with mental illnesses are actually far, far more likely to be the victims of violent crime than the perpetrators of it.
Thank you, maybe I'll reflect upon this answer and next time I won't go to the next till in the supermarket when I see that the cashier has scars everywhere
pottah
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Astana)
Thank you, maybe I'll reflect upon this answer and next time I won't go to the next till in the supermarket when I see that the cashier has scars everywhere
Thank you, that was such a nice response! There’s so much societal prejudice towards mentally ill people that we all have to unlearn, so I don’t blame you for originally thinking that way at all
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I wore a bikini for the first time this summer, the comments I got were:

“Are those surgical scars?” to which I provided the sarcastic reply off “yes, but it was a trainee doctor, so he took a few times to cut the right place” and I thought that was quite a clever reply, but he didn’t get it.
and LOTS of children staring with wide eyes.

In clubs if i’m drunk enough I don’t keep up the conscious effort it takes to hide them, I’ve had three people talk to me at 3am crying in the smoking area about how they’ve done XYZ too and telling me my scars are “beautiful” and “a symbol of strength”.

Luckily I can hide most of mine, but even if they show most people ignore or don’t mention it. Which is 100% the thing to do. Last thing I want is to talk about it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #3
Report 11 months ago
Thank you, that was such a nice response! There’s so much societal prejudice towards mentally ill people that we all have to unlearn, so I don’t blame you for originally thinking that way at all
That person's reply was horrible - 'when I see the cashier has scars everywhere'. That's a nice response?!
pottah
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That person's reply was horrible - 'when I see the cashier has scars everywhere'. That's a nice response?!
It was very encouraging to see someone who had thought that people with scars as dangerous change their mind somewhat. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be a positive indication that people can change their minds (especially as I was expecting a rude and derogatory response)
Anonymous #3
Report 11 months ago
It was very encouraging to see someone who had thought that people with scars as dangerous change their mind somewhat. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be a positive indication that people can change their minds (especially as I was expecting a rude and derogatory response)
I suppose, but it shows how close-minded people are, and should not be praised.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads