The Student Room Group

19, not in education and mediocre grades, I need some help.

So i'm 19 years old and i finished my college course in August of last year, i studied a level 3 BTECH in Applied Science and finished with a MMP, long story short the college was garbage and i lost motivation to get the grades i was predicted. Now I've just recently turned 19 and i have 0 direction in my life, i have no jobs that are getting back to me and nothing education wise. At the time i didn't want to go to university so i didn't write out a personal statement or anything like that. I now want to go back and do A levels at a college thats much better than my recent one, but i don't have one of the entry requirements. I messed up badly at my GCSE's mainly due to a world of Warcraft addiction and i barely passed my subjects. I got C's in everything but Engineering (B), Physics (B) and Maths (D1) so i have 6 total passes at GCSE as well as my level 3 Diploma in Applied science. The problem is that the college i want to attend for the A levels has a minimum of Grade B or above in GCSE Maths. This is the problem as its the the main A level i want to do (Comp Science). I did Email them to ask if they could maybe let me in based on the fact that although i don't have the GCSE Maths they could let me in as when i was doing my AS level in science we did A level Physics for 12 Units (e/g Newton's second law) so i have the capabilities to learn it i just need a decent teacher. All in all i'm just pretty lost at the moment, i have no clue where to start on this problem, i understand that it will take time but i don't know exactly how long.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
You could enter yourself fo the Maths GCSE, buy the books and pass papers and work hard..you'll pass as you are now more focused.
Original post by C0nfusedStudent
So i'm 19 years old and i finished my college course in August of last year, i studied a level 3 BTECH in Applied Science and finished with a MMP, long story short the college was garbage and i lost motivation to get the grades i was predicted. Now I've just recently turned 19 and i have 0 direction in my life, i have no jobs that are getting back to me and nothing education wise. At the time i didn't want to go to university so i didn't write out a personal statement or anything like that. I now want to go back and do A levels at a college thats much better than my recent one, but i don't have one of the entry requirements. I messed up badly at my GCSE's mainly due to a world of Warcraft addiction and i barely passed my subjects. I got C's in everything but Engineering (B), Physics (B) and Maths (D1) so i have 6 total passes at GCSE as well as my level 3 Diploma in Applied science. The problem is that the college i want to attend for the A levels has a minimum of Grade B or above in GCSE Maths. This is the problem as its the the main A level i want to do (Comp Science). I did Email them to ask if they could maybe let me in based on the fact that although i don't have the GCSE Maths they could let me in as when i was doing my AS level in science we did A level Physics for 12 Units (e/g Newton's second law) so i have the capabilities to learn it i just need a decent teacher. All in all i'm just pretty lost at the moment, i have no clue where to start on this problem, i understand that it will take time but i don't know exactly how long.

I attend a Russell group for management and they simply ignored my gcse grade....if you explain it in a short couple of sentences and integrate it in a personal statement it may work. Try calling up during clearing this year... or apply the traditional way... unis make tons of widening participation offers for those kinds of situations. Unless its super super elite its worth a shot.

Seriously, stopping messing about with Education - you've had every chance under the sun and you've messed up every one and have a long list of excuses. You clearly aren't currently set up for education, and you are just wasting your time. Find a manual job, mechanic's assistant, plumbers assistant, brickie or look at apprenticeships and test out whether you are more suited to practical, applied, hands-on skills.

A year or so of trying that approach and you will either get on with practical learning and skills, or you will realise that you need to put a lot more effort and application in getting qualifications and stop making excuses, get exams and get a knowledge based career.
Original post by threeportdrift
Seriously, stopping messing about with Education - you've had every chance under the sun and you've messed up every one and have a long list of excuses. You clearly aren't currently set up for education, and you are just wasting your time. Find a manual job, mechanic's assistant, plumbers assistant, brickie or look at apprenticeships and test out whether you are more suited to practical, applied, hands-on skills.

A year or so of trying that approach and you will either get on with practical learning and skills, or you will realise that you need to put a lot more effort and application in getting qualifications and stop making excuses, get exams and get a knowledge based career.

I started working full time since i left college and have done numerous manual labour jobs, for example i've worked in a garage, on work sites and as a traders "mate". But i have had high expectations of me in terms of academics, dont get me wrong i have messed up allot in terms of not giving it 100% but there have been other factors that have affected me. For example in the last 3 terms of my college course my tutor lost all of my medical science units and i had to redo 2 months worth of work in 2 weeks.

I haven't been in any sort of education since last year and i just have a thirst for knowledge and after not being in education for an extended period of time i now know that i want to go back and continue. All i was trying to say in my original post was does anyone have any adivce on the matter of getting back into education with my current circumstances. However i value your input and thanks for your comment.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I attend a Russell group for management and they simply ignored my gcse grade....if you explain it in a short couple of sentences and integrate it in a personal statement it may work. Try calling up during clearing this year... or apply the traditional way... unis make tons of widening participation offers for those kinds of situations. Unless its super super elite its worth a shot.

I've looked up "Russle Group" and after a bit of reading im still a little lost on what they do, from what i read they seem to be a external body that assissts with the appeal of the universities. I've seen that they are associated with quite a few universities too, but how would i get into contact with them about them helping me attend one of their universities? Thanks for your comment.
I've looked up "Russle Group" and after a bit of reading im still a little lost on what they do, from what i read they seem to be a external body that assissts with the appeal of the universities. I've seen that they are associated with quite a few universities too, but how would i get into contact with them about them helping me attend one of their universities? Thanks for your comment.

LoL its a group of 24 universities that are High tariff and require high grades but are currently under fire for social mobility, if you think of any bigger city/town in england and think of their best university its usually in the Russell group.

For example,

Oxbridge
Leeds
Nottingham
Bristol
Southampton
Exeter
LSE
Liverpool
Warwick
Durham

But there are other universities that may find your skill sets more appealing, like your local former polytechnic (opposite of Russell group towns usually have one)

In my town that would be Nottingham trent,

Further examples

Liverpool hope
Bath spa
Coventry University
London met
Original post by Realitysreflexx
LoL its a group of 24 universities that are High tariff and require high grades but are currently under fire for social mobility, if you think of any bigger city/town in england and think of their best university its usually in the Russell group.

For example,

Oxbridge
Leeds
Nottingham
Bristol
Southampton
Exeter
LSE
Liverpool
Warwick
Durham

But there are other universities that may find your skill sets more appealing, like your local former polytechnic (opposite of Russell group towns usually have one)

In my town that would be Nottingham trent,

Further examples

Liverpool hope
Bath spa
Coventry University
London met

Ah i see so its like the ivy league in terms of being a collective group of universities, i understand now thanks!

If university doesn't work out for me, I may consider resiting too. Where can i find out more about colleges/sixth form or the rules for accepting 19 year olds like yourself and do u have to pay for college/sixth form or ur exams
Original post by TerribleGrades
If university doesn't work out for me, I may consider resiting too. Where can i find out more about colleges/sixth form or the rules for accepting 19 year olds like yourself and do u have to pay for college/sixth form or ur exams

From my experience in terms of acceptance it depends on you grades, however i have had friends that have gotten in with having less that the minimum. In terms of funding you could seek a type of grant from the govermant that is used to pay for the college course, this is needed as being over 18 means that you are no longer entitled to free education within the UK. But i've heard of people getting in free and being over 18 in some rare occasions, but the best ansewer for this question is to get into contact with the collage direct and see if they can help you. Are you currently at university?
From my experience in terms of acceptance it depends on you grades, however i have had friends that have gotten in with having less that the minimum. In terms of funding you could seek a type of grant from the govermant that is used to pay for the college course, this is needed as being over 18 means that you are no longer entitled to free education within the UK. But i've heard of people getting in free and being over 18 in some rare occasions, but the best ansewer for this question is to get into contact with the collage direct and see if they can help you. Are you currently at university?

Ah i see! No.

Quick Reply

Latest