The Student Room Group

How do I strengthen my application to Imperial/Oxbridge as International Applicant

I'm from the U.S, and I would like to study mathematics/computer science. In terms of strengthening my academic qualifications, should I just take many more AP tests next year (final year of high school, which would mean that the tests are taken after applications are sent) ? I'm fairly sure I can self-study at least 3-4 major science courses, but I have not really done much self-studying since they are not required in US universities. However, because the top universities in the UK favor them as substitutions for the A-levels, I might consider self-studying as I can probably get some basic credits in US universities as well.

AP tests junior year:
AP Physics 1, AP Statistics, AP Macroeconomics

AP tests senior year that I will be taking as part of my courseload (exams will be conditional since applications will be submitted prior):
AP Physics C Mech/E&M, AP Computer Science A, AP Calculus BC
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi!

Sorry I'm not sure how the US system works, but as long as you meet their typical offer criteria you should be fine.

In terms of strengthening your application, make sure you do a lot of things that show you have an interest in your subject. This could be wider reading, masterclasses, conferences, work experience etc.

Other than that it's useful to do a lot of prep for admissions tests and interviews. Doing well in these and showing you're genuinely interested in the subject is what separates candidates from one another.

Everyone applying will have good grades, so the above things are pretty important.

Sorry I couldn't really help with your question, but hope this helps!

(Speaking for Oxbridge btw, not too sure about imperial!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I have read some example personal statements, and many of them note any insightful books they have read, and this is not usually done in the US, so I was wondering if this is a common practice in the UK. If I can perform on the MAT and get around an 80 or so, is it highly likely that I would be invited for an interview, and also, does the entrance exam influence the decisions past the interview as well (would a stellar exam performance compensate for an average interview)? Even if I don't get in, I honestly just want an excuse to visit the UK again for like the 4th time lool.
Original post by boe john
I have read some example personal statements, and many of them note any insightful books they have read, and this is not usually done in the US, so I was wondering if this is a common practice in the UK. If I can perform on the MAT and get around an 80 or so, is it highly likely that I would be invited for an interview, and also, does the entrance exam influence the decisions past the interview as well (would a stellar exam performance compensate for an average interview)? Even if I don't get in, I honestly just want an excuse to visit the UK again for like the 4th time lool.

This is very common for Oxbridge applications. MAT is for maths/ computer science at Oxford, but for Cambridge you would need to CSAT for computer science and STEP (in the summer after you apply) for maths.

Cambridge take everything into consideration again after interview so yes. I think exam performance is just used as a cutoff, so if you hit their minimum grade requirements I'm not sure how much it will compensate getting more than this (although I'm not too sure on this one).

I'm not too sure about Oxford, but they give out fewer interviews, so probably don't take other stats into consideration as much (but again, I'm not too sure sorry)

Quick Reply

Latest