The Student Room Group

CGP study books ok for self studying IALs?

Hi,

I’m planning to self study 3 international A Levels - Maths, Geography and Psycology. Are the CGP books suitable?

I’ll be using both Edexcel and Cambridge exam boards but for Edexcel specifically I’m unable to find any International A Level books, only GCE A Level books. I live overseas and I can’t pop down to the shops to buy books, all will need to be ordered online. I have the syllabus but I have no way of checking which book is suited without buying it first.

Any help?
Original post by Rebecca787
Hi,

I’m planning to self study 3 international A Levels - Maths, Geography and Psycology. Are the CGP books suitable?

I’ll be using both Edexcel and Cambridge exam boards but for Edexcel specifically I’m unable to find any International A Level books, only GCE A Level books. I live overseas and I can’t pop down to the shops to buy books, all will need to be ordered online. I have the syllabus but I have no way of checking which book is suited without buying it first.

Any help?

I recommend the Collins textbooks, you can find them online. 100x better than the cgp
Hi,

Any help?

Be careful!
EDEXCEL A levels are going through a process of update and change.
The latest uk A level specifications do not match the international A level.
For maths get this range of books
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8

For other subjects, check the publication date of the book. Anything recent (e.g. after 2015) is likely to be for the new specification and will be unsuitable for you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Be careful!

For other subjects check the date of publication, anything recent will be for the new uk A level and will be unsuitable for you.

Thanks. It’s so frustrating and I fear that actually there isn’t a study book for Edexcel international a level. Cambridge have books specifically for the IALs whereas Edexcel do not.
Reply 4
Be careful!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8

For other subjects, check the publication date of the book. Anything recent (e.g. after 2015) is likely to be for the new specification and will be unsuitable for you.

Just to clarify, the maths books that you linked would be ok for the IAL? I have a friend who has all of those books.
Thanks. It’s so frustrating and I fear that actually there isn’t a study book for Edexcel international a level. Cambridge have books specifically for the IALs whereas Edexcel do not.

The specification for EDEXCEL IAL is the same as the content for the previous versions of uk A kevels. The only differences for maths is that the C1 and C2 units of AS are combined in a single exam paper for IAL, same for C3 and 4. The difference in sciences was that the uk practical exams were replaced by written papers for the IAL. As such, the old uk text books were fine for the IAL content.

For new versions of IAL that will be starting soon there will be specific IAL text books.
Reply 6
The specification for EDEXCEL IAL is the same as the content for the previous versions of uk A kevels. The only differences for maths is that the C1 and C2 units of AS are combined in a single exam paper for IAL, same for C3 and 4. The difference in sciences was that the uk practical exams were replaced by written papers for the IAL. As such, the old uk text books were fine for the IAL content.

For new versions of IAL that will be starting soon there will be specific IAL text books.

Thank you very much! Do you have any information on when the new IAL syllabus/books will be released? I’m wondering weather to wait around for that or to just do maths IAL with Cambridge.
Thank you very much! Do you have any information on when the new IAL syllabus/books will be released? I’m wondering weather to wait around for that or to just do maths IAL with Cambridge.

The latest information will be on the EDEXCEL web site.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels.html
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
The latest information will be on the EDEXCEL web site.

Got it, thanks so much!
Got it, thanks so much!

P.S. I advise you don't wait for the new specification.
1. You won't have the wealth of past papers to practice with
2. The text books may or may not arrive as soon as you want them

Do the current EDEXCEL IAL with the text books your friend can supply would be my recommendation
P.S. I advise you don't wait for the new specification.
1. You won't have the wealth of past papers to practice with
2. The text books may or may not arrive as soon as you want them

Do the current EDEXCEL IAL with the text books your friend can supply would be my recommendation

Yes, from looking at the Edexcel website, the new maths IAL is for first teaching in September 2018. I’m not keen to wait until then to start. I may take longer than 2 years to be ready for my exams and I can see that the last exam for the 2013 spec is next year so I will definitely have to take the 2018 spec exams but from what I’ve read, for maths the syllabus won’t be that different. Also by 2020/2021 they’ll be some past papers available. My plan for maths is to take my AS exams after year 1 and A2 exams after year 2 to break it up for me. That way I won’t have to complete 6 exams in one go plus all exams for my other 2 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest